6000 series Alu v. 6061-T6

pabergel

Nov 29, 2003
Okay, here's for all you chemical engineers out there. I'm trying to get some objective confirmation of Topolino Tech's (wheel manufacturer) assertion that 6000 series Aluminum is a higher quality aluminum that 6061-T6. In other words, is it better quality?

By the way, if you have any personal experience with this wheel manufacturer, please let me know. I can already assert (just by bombarding them with questions) that their customer service is TOP NOTCH. But it seems like the jury is still out on their wheel quality.

Thanks in advance to any and all!

Originally posted by pabergel
Okay, here's for all you chemical engineers out there. I'm trying to get some objective confirmation of Topolino Tech's (wheel manufacturer) assertion that 6000 series Aluminum is a higher quality aluminum that 6061-T6. In other words, is it better quality?

By the way, if you have any personal experience with this wheel manufacturer, please let me know. I can already assert (just by bombarding them with questions) that their customer service is TOP NOTCH. But it seems like the jury is still out on their wheel quality.

I think you need a metalurgist. Try a google search on alumimumm alloys or the specific ones in question.

Heres a web page that discusses all bike frame metals in detail. (Aluminum about 1/2 way through). Good luck.

http://www2.sjsu.edu/orgs/asmtms/artcle/alumin.htm

Don't quote me on this but I'm under the impression that "6000 series" just means the metal is an alloy whose exact number starts 60. So this would make 6061-T6, 6013, 6065 and all the other ones you hear about "6000 series". And 7005, 7020 and so on are "7000 series" and so on.

P.S. If this is correct it means you're unlikely to be able to compare the stuff Topolino uses to standard 6061-T6, because they don't say which specific alloy they use, just that it's 6000 series.

Thanks. You confirmed what I just discovered on the website suggested by the first response, above. Indeed, it looks like the "stonger" mystery alloy is exactly that, a trade secret. Good to be set straight. By the way, if you haven't already come across it, a good resource for materials-type questions is ASM International @:

www.asminternational.org

Thanks. You confirmed what I just discovered on the website suggested by the first response, above. Indeed, it looks like the "stonger" mystery alloy is exactly that, a trade secret. Good to be set straight. By the way, if you haven't already come across it, a good resource for materials-type questions is ASM International @:

www.asminternational.org
Alot of the 'mystery' alloys are just hooey wrapped in marketing.