6069 aluminum and welding

the blur

Guest
does uncontrolled heating/melting of this aluminum weaken its
"structure"? does aluminum have a structure? can welding weaken a tube
if it's deformed a bit? why do i ask? i have a new mountian bike frame
and there's a bulge near one of the welds. the tube is not thin there,
as there is no defect on the inside of the tube. just a 1 cm by 3-4 mm
slight bulge on the outside of the tube. the manufacturer will exchange
it but i don't want to bother if it's just cosmetic. any opinions? i
have pictures if necesary. thanks

--

Absolutely. Pic's will help but I think you must accept the
replacement offer!! It gets serious especially on certain areas of the

the blur <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> does uncontrolled heating/melting of this aluminum weaken its
> "structure"? does aluminum have a structure? can welding weaken a tube
> if it's deformed a bit? why do i ask? i have a new mountian bike frame
> and there's a bulge near one of the welds. the tube is not thin there,
> as there is no defect on the inside of the tube. just a 1 cm by 3-4 mm
> slight bulge on the outside of the tube. the manufacturer will exchange
> it but i don't want to bother if it's just cosmetic. any opinions? i
> have pictures if necesary. thanks
>

> --

it's not really close to the actual weld-it's on the side of the top
tube about an inch from the head tube. it's below a gussett weld on top
of the top tube. i think its minor-probably cosmetic only. you can feel
it and see it if the lighting is right. there's no defect on the inside
of the tube(-i can feel through the head tube)

--

the blur wrote:
> does uncontrolled heating/melting of this aluminum weaken its
> "structure"?

yes

> does aluminum have a structure?

yes

> can welding weaken a tube
> if it's deformed a bit?

yes

> why do i ask? i have a new mountian bike frame
> and there's a bulge near one of the welds. the tube is not thin there,
> as there is no defect on the inside of the tube. just a 1 cm by 3-4 mm
> slight bulge on the outside of the tube. the manufacturer will exchange
> it but i don't want to bother if it's just cosmetic. any opinions? i
> have pictures if necesary. thanks

its not cosmetic, it's structural. take advantage of the manufacturers
generous offer & have it replaced. to perform a safe repair requires
substantial work, time & expensive equipment making it most unlikely to
be an economic exercise.

In article <[email protected]>, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>the blur wrote:
>> does uncontrolled heating/melting of this aluminum weaken its
>> "structure"?

>yes
>
>> does aluminum have a structure?

>yes
>
>> can welding weaken a tube
>> if it's deformed a bit?

>yes
>
>> why do i ask? i have a new mountian bike frame
>> and there's a bulge near one of the welds. the tube is not thin there,
>> as there is no defect on the inside of the tube. just a 1 cm by 3-4 mm
>> slight bulge on the outside of the tube. the manufacturer will exchange
>> it but i don't want to bother if it's just cosmetic. any opinions? i
>> have pictures if necesary. thanks

>its not cosmetic, it's structural. take advantage of the manufacturers
>generous offer & have it replaced. to perform a safe repair requires
>substantial work, time & expensive equipment making it most unlikely to
>be an economic exercise.

Just wanted to add my comments.
2 years ago I discovered a crach in my Cannondale bike in the right
chain-stay. The crach was about 3/4 around the tube about 4-5 cm from the
dropout, and was caused by an accident 5 years before that.

I got the frame welded by a friend, who works with metals at the university in
town. I know that the fram will never be as strong as before, but it is a lot
stronger compared it's state when I discovered the crack. After all, I have
been riding the frame with that crack... and not noticed it.

I now use the bike as a spare one when training in bad weather. The new bike
is only used during competition and training in good weather.

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://spiderman.novit.no/dahls/