60csx saving data (routes) to the memory card

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dundonald, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Is it me or does it not appear possible to save a route to the memory
    card on the 60csx? I'm sure I remember someone mentioning that the
    magellan equivalents can, so surely the 60csx can?

    Tags:

  2. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Dundonald wrote:
    > Is it me or does it not appear possible to save a route to the memory
    > card on the 60csx? I'm sure I remember someone mentioning that the
    > magellan equivalents can, so surely the 60csx can?

    Sorry, I should have said tracks, not routes!

  3. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Dundonald wrote:
    > Dundonald wrote:
    > > Is it me or does it not appear possible to save a route to the memory
    > > card on the 60csx? I'm sure I remember someone mentioning that the
    > > magellan equivalents can, so surely the 60csx can?

    > Sorry, I should have said tracks, not routes!

    Any ideas on this please chaps?

  4. Dundonald wrote:
    > Dundonald wrote:
    >> Dundonald wrote:
    >>> Is it me or does it not appear possible to save a route to the
    >>> memory card on the 60csx? I'm sure I remember someone mentioning
    >>> that the magellan equivalents can, so surely the 60csx can?

    >> Sorry, I should have said tracks, not routes!

    > Any ideas on this please chaps?

    Sorry no. The 60CSX would only be able to do that if Garmin designed it to
    do that, but maybe they didn't. To be fair though, there's plenty of track
    memory in there anyway. 10,000 points and 20 saved tracks should suffice
    for most trips, or are you planning a really long trip?

    Paul

  5. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
    person Paul Saunders <[email protected]> said
    >Dundonald wrote:
    >> Dundonald wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, I should have said tracks, not routes!

    >> Any ideas on this please chaps?

    >Sorry no. The 60CSX would only be able to do that if Garmin designed it to
    >do that, but maybe they didn't. To be fair though, there's plenty of track
    >memory in there anyway. 10,000 points and 20 saved tracks should suffice
    >for most trips, or are you planning a really long trip?

    The newest firmware can, I believe, save tracks (in GPX) format to the
    memory card. I'm not sure the latest Mapsource software knows how to
    retrieve them (yet) though. There is/was a thread about it over on
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS/
    iirc. (or try google).

    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can

  6. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    Paul Saunders wrote:
    > Dundonald wrote:
    > > Dundonald wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Sorry, I should have said tracks, not routes!

    > > Any ideas on this please chaps?

    > Sorry no. The 60CSX would only be able to do that if Garmin designed it to
    > do that, but maybe they didn't. To be fair though, there's plenty of track
    > memory in there anyway. 10,000 points and 20 saved tracks should suffice
    > for most trips, or are you planning a really long trip?

    I'm doing a few long days this year - welsh 3k's, lake district 24
    peaks ... It's just nice to know that after one of those days I can
    archive the track log to card rather than running the risk of
    overwriting a track on the device's memory.

  7. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
    > Bitstring <[email protected]>, from the wonderful
    > person Paul Saunders <[email protected]uk> said
    > >Dundonald wrote:

    > >> Any ideas on this please chaps?

    > >Sorry no. The 60CSX would only be able to do that if Garmin designed it to
    > >do that, but maybe they didn't. To be fair though, there's plenty of track
    > >memory in there anyway. 10,000 points and 20 saved tracks should suffice
    > >for most trips, or are you planning a really long trip?

    > The newest firmware can, I believe, save tracks (in GPX) format to the
    > memory card. I'm not sure the latest Mapsource software knows how to
    > retrieve them (yet) though. There is/was a thread about it over on
    > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS/
    > iirc. (or try google).

    Thanks GSV I'll check that out.

  8. Bitstring <[email protected]>, from
    the wonderful person Dundonald <[email protected]> said
    <snip>
    >> The newest firmware can, I believe, save tracks (in GPX) format to the
    >> memory card. I'm not sure the latest Mapsource software knows how to
    >> retrieve them (yet) though. There is/was a thread about it over on
    >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS/
    >> iirc. (or try google).

    >Thanks GSV I'll check that out.

    This message (today) from Chuck Bernard probably applies:-

    "
    There is an option on the 60CSx, if you are using Beta software version
    2.62, that allows you to save the active track to the MicroSD card in
    parallel with the one being saved in main memory.

    After some experiments I have found that it is a one way data transfer.
    The only way to get the data off of the card is to remove the card from
    the GPS and read it using a USB card reader on your PC (or Mac).
    MapSource can then play around with the saved tracks and you can do
    anything with them that you could do with other tracks.

    One HUGE advantage is that there doesn't appear to be a limit of 10,000
    track points when storing the data on the memory card. I had nearly
    11,000 in one active track stored on the card.  Maybe there is no
    limit??? So, you don't have to worry about losing track information when
    the one in main memory wraps around and starts to overwrite the start of
    your journey.

    Even when your active track gets cleared or wraps around in the main
    memory the entire track gets stored on the memory card.

    In that regard, it now seems reasonable to leave about 20-30 MBytes of
    space on the memory card available for storing tracks. I filled mine to
    98% with maps which doesn't leave a lot of room to store tracks. By the
    way, that 11,000 track log was over 1MB on the microSD card.

    //Chuck
    "
    --
    GSV Three Minds in a Can
    Advert:

  9. Dundonald

    Dundonald Guest

    GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
    > Bitstring <[email protected]>, from
    > the wonderful person Dundonald <[email protected]> said
    > <snip>
    > >> The newest firmware can, I believe, save tracks (in GPX) format to the
    > >> memory card. I'm not sure the latest Mapsource software knows how to
    > >> retrieve them (yet) though. There is/was a thread about it over on
    > >> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS/
    > >> iirc. (or try google).

    > >Thanks GSV I'll check that out.

    > This message (today) from Chuck Bernard probably applies:-
    >
    > "
    > There is an option on the 60CSx, if you are using Beta software version
    > 2.62, that allows you to save the active track to the MicroSD card in
    > parallel with the one being saved in main memory.
    >
    > After some experiments I have found that it is a one way data transfer.
    > The only way to get the data off of the card is to remove the card from
    > the GPS and read it using a USB card reader on your PC (or Mac).
    > MapSource can then play around with the saved tracks and you can do
    > anything with them that you could do with other tracks.
    >
    > One HUGE advantage is that there doesn't appear to be a limit of 10,000
    > track points when storing the data on the memory card. I had nearly
    > 11,000 in one active track stored on the card. Maybe there is no
    > limit??? So, you don't have to worry about losing track information when
    > the one in main memory wraps around and starts to overwrite the start of
    > your journey.
    >
    > Even when your active track gets cleared or wraps around in the main
    > memory the entire track gets stored on the memory card.
    >
    > In that regard, it now seems reasonable to leave about 20-30 MBytes of
    > space on the memory card available for storing tracks. I filled mine to
    > 98% with maps which doesn't leave a lot of room to store tracks. By the
    > way, that 11,000 track log was over 1MB on the microSD card.
    >
    > //Chuck
    > "

    Aye thanks for that GSV, I subscribed to the yahoo group this morning
    so that's one of the first messages that I received, very timely!

    Now I need to look at what version of firmware I'm running and see how
    I uprgade it ...