60th Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré - ProT

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by JAPANic, Jun 7, 2008.

1. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

...hmm...strange we haven't heard from musette in the last couple of days......fair weather fan just as I suspected.

2. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

Since her Levi isn't doing as well as she had boasted, she has probably crawled back to her hole.

3. thunder

thunder New Member

Levi might be racing cleaner. Pretty average rider without the primo medical regime.

4. huboon

huboon New Member

I would love to see Gesink shell Peanuthead and move up to third tomorrow.

5. poulidor

poulidor New Member

I would be interesting to have the time on Col de Joux-Plane, and to compare to the famous 17th stage of 2006 TDF.

6. EvilJediJ

EvilJediJ New Member

Landis rode the final climb of the Joux Plan in 37 minutes.

Pantani has the record at 33 minutes which he did in 1997.

I don't know the time for today...
    Here is an interesting article on VAM and climbing

http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/2006/climb.htm

It says Santi Perez performance in Vuelta was better than Pantani's on Alpe Duez by an EASY margin ...whatever happened to him btw? Shouldn't his suspension be over?

7. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Just finished watching the stage and I tell you what Evans is a new man....... he rode the entire climb on the front and at times was putting Valverde into trouble....... Levi was gone..... no good..... well no good without dope....... Evans even pumped his fist when he came over the line for 2nd........ good of Valverde not to go around him......... Rogers rode well as did Gesink....... where was Sanchez ??????

8. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Maybe Cadel is reading this forum and has grown sick of fscyclist referring to him as a wheel sucking whimp... :p

9. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Possible. Actually you're probably right. However I think Evans is trying to make up for the week he lost with his dicky knee...... I noticed Rogers was attacking yesterday trying to get some form back...... Evans will ride a different race at the Tour.........

10. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Yes lets give Evans his dues. He didnt initiate the move that dropped Levi as usual- but sure, when he saw him dropping 25 metres back, then he did make all the work at the front. Having said that it was only about the the last 2- 3 uphill kms.

Why did he keep going at the front when it was clear he wouldnt drop Valverde. Is 2nd place on GC so important for him?

Is he a changed man or just on some super "regime" that he can start to finally do his turn on the front just for fun.

By the way, got to meet Jan Ullrich today at opening day of his brothers bike shop in Berlin. I asked him for his tip for this years tour and he could only mention Evans. But to be honest, he hardly seemed to care or even have thought about it at all. Can't blame him I suppose.

11. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Evans, Levi, Valverde what the ? Who gives a fark !

Tell us more about Ullrich ! How was he looking ? Fit ? Any spare tyre around the waist line ? You should have asked him about Bonnen ! details, details, details.......

12. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Not that much to tell really. He was doing autographs and you got your 20 seconds with the "man". But he was looking very tanned, healthy, and fit. A gentle giant. He seemed a bit guarded when I wanted to ask him cycling related questions, but can you blame him.

Wanted to bring him a present from all the cycling forums contributors of a huge cream cake, and maybe some pies, but didnt get round to it.

13. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

What did the big man expect ? He was at a bike shop opening people were going to ask about cycling..... Good to hear he was fit & tanned.... any sign of his hot wife ?

14. thunder

thunder New Member

thing is, everyone is saying that Crank, but if you look at the first stage in 2006 in the mtns, when Kloden unhinged, Evans worked with Landis to drive the group, he rode on the front.

Menchov was the only guy who rode with them. Landis did about 50% of the work, Evans and Mench about 20% each.

Mencho won the sprint, Evans was dropped with 500 to go. Sastre and Levi wheelsucked.

15. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Evans attacks and gets a good gap! Chasing group starting to fall to pieces under the pressure.

Edit: For a moment there I thought he was going to stand on the pedals all the way to the top but he's finally sat down.

16. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Leipheimer counters, catches Evans and then procedes to sit on his wheel and not do any work, even when Evans asks him to. Then he attacks Evans who manages to get onto his wheel. Group behind only has four people in it now but they're closing slowly, now Valverde counters and catches them, dragging the others with him.

17. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

A very exciting stage considering Levi and Evans were the main protagonists. Valverde had the measure of them - he just waited, composed himself and reeled them in. Bears well for his chances of taking on Evans in the TdF

This years DL has been a real cracker. Hardly one flat stage at all. remeber last year, and no supermen in evidence unlike last year. Remember the Astana drones?

18. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Great that you got the chance to get to the opening of that shop and got the chance to meet JU.
    Nice one.

I agree with your view about the DL : been a good open race.
    Valverde looks really strong.

19. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

I heard from several people it was very nice as Jan was pretty relaxed.

DL: Great race but I don't think Valverde is the one who will win that other French race (its pretty well known, goes on for 3 weeks)..

20. Eldrack

Eldrack New Member

Looks like LL and Evans pretty much decided they couldn't win, peloton was rather boring today. Still, the multiple breakaways and their antics made it reasonably interesting.