61 year old man prepares for cross country ride

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ken Marcet, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Ken Marcet

    Ken Marcet Guest

    Tags:

  2. Who said 61 is old? I've revised my opinion on that point.

    Ron Wallenfang dob 11-20-43

    "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > to ride from KY to CA.
    > http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    > Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to carry
    > laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    >
    > Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > --
    > More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

  3. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    Ron Wallenfang wrote:
    > Who said 61 is old? I've revised my opinion on that point.
    >
    > Ron Wallenfang dob 11-20-43
    >

    > "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > to ride from KY to CA.
    > > http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    > > Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to

    carry
    > > laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    > >
    > > Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > > --
    > > More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

    61 is not an "older guy". When I was 30 it was an older guy, but now I
    would like to think it is still young. Get that "OLDER" out of there
    unless you are talking about someone who is 85 or 90. Cher is 60. I
    hear she going to pose nude to celebrate. I am hoping 60 becomes the
    new 40. Anyway, if he did it in 1967, he can do it again now. Good
    Luck to him.
    All Good Things
    Maggie

  4. Ken Marcet

    Ken Marcet Guest

    "older" is a relative statement, I am 32 so 61 is "older", I am not saying
    the he is old, just that he is older than me! Didn't mean to offend anyone.
    Old would be in the late 70's or beyond!

    Ken

    "Ron Wallenfang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Who said 61 is old? I've revised my opinion on that point.
    >
    > Ron Wallenfang dob 11-20-43
    >

    > "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > to ride from KY to CA.
    > > http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    > > Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to carry
    > > laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    > >
    > > Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > > --
    > > More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

  5. I am 65, and definitely NOT "older."

    And, I bet when I am 85, I will not be "older" either! :D

    Words like "older," "elderly," "younger," etc., are not very accurate
    or descriptive words. I much prefer simply making a statement such as

    "A 23 year old man"

    or

    a "75 year old woman"

    or simply leave "age" out of the entire equation.

  6. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    Ken Marcet wrote:
    > "older" is a relative statement, I am 32 so 61 is "older", I am not

    saying
    > the he is old, just that he is older than me! Didn't mean to offend

    anyone.
    > Old would be in the late 70's or beyond!
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Ron Wallenfang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Who said 61 is old? I've revised my opinion on that point.
    > >
    > > Ron Wallenfang dob 11-20-43
    > >

    > > "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > to ride from KY to CA.
    > > > http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    > > > Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to

    carry
    > > > laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    > > >
    > > > Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.
    > > >
    > > > Ken
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

    Wait until you hit 40.....no age will be considered "OLD". ;-)
    All Good Things,
    Maggie

  7. Neil Cherry

    Neil Cherry Guest

    On 28 Feb 2005 05:58:19 -0800, Colorado Bicycler wrote:
    > I am 65, and definitely NOT "older."
    >
    > And, I bet when I am 85, I will not be "older" either! :D
    >
    > Words like "older," "elderly," "younger," etc., are not very accurate
    > or descriptive words. I much prefer simply making a statement such as
    >
    > "A 23 year old man"
    >
    > or
    >
    > a "75 year old woman"
    >
    > or simply leave "age" out of the entire equation.

    I'm now 43 and when I was 38 I had my butt trounced by the Senior
    Masters female champ (she reminded me a lot of Jackeline Kennedy in
    build, hair style and she even wore pearls). I later found out she was
    72. I wasn't as fast as I am now but she kicked my ass in style! I
    now have a lot of respect for older (in years) riders. They may look
    'older' but they can hold their own. It may not be at the speed of le
    Tour but it's still very respectable. Also what they losing in speed
    over the years they can make up in distance.

    BTW, I also know several people who are in there 70's and they look
    better than folks in their 50's. At some point how well we maintain
    ourselves comes into play. Some people are worn out early, some later
    and others you need to Raid to kill off. :)

    --
    Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry [email protected]
    http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)

  8. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Ken Marcet wrote:
    > to ride from KY to CA.
    > http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    > Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to
    > carry laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    >
    > Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.

    Sounds like a pretty good trip for someone of ANY age.

    Resisting urge to pile on (TOO much), Bill S.

  9. Maggie

    Maggie Guest

    S o r n i wrote:

    > Resisting urge to pile on (TOO much), Bill S.

    WHY???? Will you get arrested?
    All Good Things,
    Maggie

  10. "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > to ride from KY to CA.
    > http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    > Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to carry
    > laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    >
    > Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.

    I signed up a few years back for the on-line journal of a guy who rode solo
    from Seattle to Miami, and celebrated his 70th birthday along the way. I was
    disappointed when he finally got there, I enjoyed his stories and pictures
    so much over the weeks it took him to do the trip.

    Since then, I also subscribed to the journals of his tour of New Zealand,
    and most recently, his bicycle tour of the Andes. I never knew how beautiful
    the mountains Chile and Argentina are.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Home of the meditative cyclist:
    See the books I've set free at:

  11. b_baka

    b_baka Guest

    Ken Marcet wrote:
    > "older" is a relative statement, I am 32 so 61 is "older", I am not saying
    > the he is old, just that he is older than me! Didn't mean to offend anyone.
    > Old would be in the late 70's or beyond!
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Ron Wallenfang" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>Who said 61 is old? I've revised my opinion on that point.
    >>
    >>Ron Wallenfang dob 11-20-43
    >>

    >>"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>to ride from KY to CA.
    >>>http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    >>>Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to carry
    >>>laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    >>>
    >>>Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.
    >>>
    >>>Ken
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

    Try going head top head with someone really 'old' like Jack Lalanne at
    90/91. He will probably drop you at the first anykind of exercise. I
    don't know that he bikes but he works out a minimum of 2 hours every
    single day of his life no matter what. 90 yes, but not old. I just saw
    him on television the other day pushing his version of the juicer and he
    did not look 80. Check out Chuck Norris, at 65 standing next to Christie
    Brinkley and doing his Gym commercials. He had a 25 something
    bodybuilder try the same set of exercises that he made look simple and
    the bodybuilder was sweating.
    Go figure that.
    Bill Baka
    Bill Baka

  12. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:14:30 GMT, "Ron Wallenfang"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Who said 61 is old? I've revised my opinion on that point.
    >
    >Ron Wallenfang dob 11-20-43
    >

    >"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> to ride from KY to CA.
    >> http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    >> Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to carry
    >> laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    >>
    >> Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.

    Maybe the appropriate question is, "How much older than you are does
    'old' start?"

    Pat
    Email address works as is.

  13. RonSonic

    RonSonic Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:26:40 -0600, Patrick Lamb <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:14:30 GMT, "Ron Wallenfang"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Who said 61 is old? I've revised my opinion on that point.
    >>
    >>Ron Wallenfang dob 11-20-43
    >>

    >>"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> to ride from KY to CA.
    >>> http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    >>> Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to carry
    >>> laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    >>>
    >>> Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.

    >Maybe the appropriate question is, "How much older than you are does
    >'old' start?"

    About five years older than me. It's been that way for years.

    Ron

  14. Ken Marcet wrote:
    > to ride from KY to CA.
    > http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/state/11007946.htm
    > Prepares to retrace route he took in 1967 from CA to KY. Plans to

    carry
    > laptop and teach an online course to KY students.
    >
    > Sounds like a pretty good trip for an older guy.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > --
    > More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/

    A cross country biker always companying with big automobile. I don't
    know if I call this cross country riding.