618 vs 521

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Rat, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. Rat

    Rat Guest

    Ok so I have a 36H rim, but just got a 32H rear Chris King hub off ebay.

    Now, I googled and found various discussions and even one last week recommending the 618 over the
    519 and 517....but how about the 521 vs the 618?

    Is the 521 much stronger at the 'expense' of only 150 gr or so? or is the 618 comparable
    in strength?

    Cheers...

    Tags:

  2. >Ok so I have a 36H rim, but just got a 32H rear Chris King hub off ebay.

    >Now, I googled and found various discussions and even one last week recommending the 618 over the
    >519 and 517....but how about the 521 vs the 618?
    >
    >Is the 521 much stronger at the 'expense' of only 150 gr or so? or is the 618 comparable in
    >strength?
    >
    >Cheers...

    Ruben says: 205

  3. "rat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ok so I have a 36H rim, but just got a 32H rear Chris King hub off ebay.
    >
    > Now, I googled and found various discussions and even one last week recommending the 618 over the
    > 519 and 517....but how about the 521 vs the 618?
    >
    > Is the 521 much stronger at the 'expense' of only 150 gr or so? or is the 618 comparable in
    > strength?
    >
    > Cheers...

    Consider also that the 521 is a bit wider which will make a difference if you are running wide tyres
    or very skinny ones. Strengthwise I have no idea. The 618 is double-eyeletted which means it is less
    likely to crack around the spoke holes.

    Steve.

  4. Sdc

    Sdc Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    >> Consider also that the 521 is a bit wider which will make a difference if
    > you are running wide tyres or very skinny ones. Strengthwise I have no
    idea.
    > The 618 is double-eyeletted which means it is less likely to crack around the spoke holes.

    I'm running 2.1 in the back. The two rims are basically the same price. I do x-country but I'm not
    the smoothest rider out there.

    SDC (rat as someone changed my name)

  5. "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >> Consider also that the 521 is a bit wider which will make a difference
    if
    > > you are running wide tyres or very skinny ones. Strengthwise I have no
    > idea.
    > > The 618 is double-eyeletted which means it is less likely to crack
    around
    > > the spoke holes.
    > >

    > I'm running 2.1 in the back. The two rims are basically the same price. I do x-country but I'm not
    > the smoothest rider out there.
    >
    > SDC (rat as someone changed my name)

    With a 2.1 tyre you should be fine with the 618. More importantly get it built by a good
    wheelbuilder (or do it yourself and learn what not to
    do...).

    Steve.

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "SDC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >> Consider also that the 521 is a bit wider which will make a difference if
    > > you are running wide tyres or very skinny ones. Strengthwise I have no
    > idea.
    > > The 618 is double-eyeletted which means it is less likely to crack around the spoke holes.
    > >

    > I'm running 2.1 in the back. The two rims are basically the same price. I do x-country but I'm not
    > the smoothest rider out there.
    >
    > SDC (rat as someone changed my name)

    Get smooth and the 618. The 521 is a bit wide for 2.1" tires.

    JD