6'3" Tall rider/Giant OCR3

01sesedan

Nov 6, 2006
Tall rider 6'3" looking for right bike....

I know, not everyone is the same but want to get your opinions, advice and reviews.

Getting motivated to ride again. After rider a MTB for a long time, I decided to hit the road. Also, some guys from work are riding, they have Trek 1000.

Today, I went to a bike shop in town and they had Trek and Giant. The shop mechanic came out to help and asked my price range. I tell him about $550 to $600. He indicated for my hieght and price range the Giant OCR3 is the one. It also has more adjustability on the bars. Not sure if this is a plus or not. Lastly, the price, it's $550 for an 06.

Any tall riders have this bike? What's your experience like? Additional info greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It is easy to make a frame with compact geometry fit if it is too small.
Don't let them sell you a frame that is too small and has 4cm of
spacers on the stear tube. It'll work as far as fit goes, but you would be best
off making sure the frame is your size. Not made to fit.

I don't have this frame, but I do have a compact that is too small...:eek:

Looks like XL may suit you?

geo_ocr_alloy.jpg

Several different views on this matter. If you buy a compact that is too small you are going to have way too much seatpost sticking up, never mind the spacers. Sprinters (those who are 6'+ tall) tend to stick with a traditional geometry and have a large drop (to the handlebars). This will make your back sore if not used to it though...if you like the 20cms of post look then go for it. At 6'3" you want more drop to get near the aerodynamics of a smaller rider. I hate compact frames so am likely to be biased and don't fall for the "more rigid" argument or the "lighter" argument...in the end it's all about using less materials and bigger profits for bike companies. Look at some Casati frames - they have a forward sloping top-tube (as did a lot of older bikes) just to buck the trend. I know there are a lot of riders who don't like the compact look as well...my .1.

Check your inseam length...it is one of the greatest determinants of frame size. You can always get a 140mm stem to compensate for a smaller frame (and smaller T-T) if you want.

Today I went to another shop that sells specialized. I was measured and they indicated that my size is 62cm. When back to the Giant store (which also sells trek) and tried a side by side comparison, Giant OCR3 (XL) and Trek 1000 (63cm). They were both close in size, at least up front. In the rear, the trek was slightly taller but not by much.

I don't know if this means anything. Just looking for more opinions.

Thanks..

01sesedan said:
Today I went to another shop that sells specialized. I was measured and they indicated that my size is 62cm. When back to the Giant store (which also sells trek) and tried a side by side comparison, Giant OCR3 (XL) and Trek 1000 (63cm). They were both close in size, at least up front. In the rear, the trek was slightly taller but not by much.

Thanks..
It boils down to personal choice, I'm 5'11" in your measurements and I use a medium giant ocr2. I could also use a large.

Someone may correct me, but the difference between medium and extra large is 8.5cm = 3 1/3" add that to my height and thats 6'2 1/3" which means that you have 2/3" of an inch over me, when comparing the frames. My gut feeling is that this is OK. However it would be good for you to hear from some riders taller than me that are using compact frames.

01sesedan said:

Thanks..

Hi, I am spot on your measurements (6'3") and measure up for a 62cm frame.

I have tended to steer away from compact frames and gone for traditional frames to get the right sizing...remember it is also your reach that is affected if the frame is to small.

I ride a 63cm cannondale and use a 130mm head stem(reach). I would be battling to fit on most compact frames from what I know. Also if your head stem is to long, it will affect the bikes handling.

Mind you, I do know a very tall (well credentialed) rider who swears by his Giant compact....and he belts the hell out of everyone in the bunch!!! so go figure....

If you are a tall rider I can recommend the cannondale caad frames as being well suited to tall riders... very stiff and responsive for a big frame

Choices, choises, choises......

Don't know what to do. Guess I'll go back to the store and make a final decision on the Trek 1000 or Giant OCR3. Both bike are approx. the same price.. Going off of this... Looks like it might not be a bad choice, just have to have more seat post stick out.

The search continues. Thanks to all for your posts.. Still looking for tall riders to chime in on their experience..

TCRChart2006.jpg