64 to 58 adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gerrit Van Wijk

I think it could work. I don't need anything smaller than a 22 but for others with a 4 arm crank who
would prefer a 20 tooth chainring... Cut a ring out of 1 mm thick steel. Drill 4 holes to fit a
current 4 arm mtb design (64 spacing). Drill 5 holes to fit an older 5 arm mtb design (58 spacing).
Attach the adaptar to the 4 arm crankarms. Attach a 20 tooth 58 chainring to the adaptor. You could
even make an adaptor for a rear cog (18, 19).

crossposted.

I realize why you would use such a thin piece, to keep from messing up the chainring spacing, but
are you sure 1mm would be stiff enough not to buckle under load?

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Maybe not. But since its a very small ring maybe it will.

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> I realize why you would use such a thin piece, to keep from messing up the chainring spacing, but
> are you sure 1mm would be stiff enough not to buckle under load?
>
> May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
>
> Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:53:04 +0200, gerrit van wijk wrote:

> Maybe not. But since its a very small ring maybe it will.
>
> "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
>> I realize why you would use such a thin piece, to keep from messing up the chainring spacing, but
>> are you sure 1mm would be stiff enough not to buckle under load?

Since it's such a small ring, the load will be very high. Imagine standing on the pedal. Look at the
ratio between the crankarm length and the radius of that little sprocket. Your weight times that
ratio is the force applied on that 1mm thick ring. Dicey.

Better idea: get a 94/58 crankset.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how. _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

Status
Not open for further replies.