650 rims on a 700 frame

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Im building a commuter with an older TREK frame. The frame doesn't have
    clearance for any more than 700x28 tires. I would like to use 32-35mm
    tires. Has anyone ever used 650c wheels on a 700c frame successfully?
    How does braking work? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Shouldn't be a problem. Just do some measuring. I think you'll need
    16mm more brake reach, so either long reach brakes or even BMX calipers
    will do the trick.

  3. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:1143895014.137761.49120
    @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Im building a commuter with an older TREK frame. The frame doesn't have
    > clearance for any more than 700x28 tires. I would like to use 32-35mm
    > tires. Has anyone ever used 650c wheels on a 700c frame successfully?
    > How does braking work? Thanks.

    650c tires usually only come in skinny widths, no more than 23mm. 650b is
    probably what you want. It's a slightly larger bead seat diameter, so
    braking is a slightly smaller hassle. Most 650b converts wind up using Dia-
    Compe 750 centerpulls.

    650b tires usually go between 30-38mm wide (although there are probably
    narrower and wider examples).

    Rivendell and Harris are probably the two main shops that sell the rims &
    tires:

    http://www.rivbike.com
    http://www.harriscyclery.com/26

    Sheldon has an excellent article on converting to 650b:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/650b.html

    Good luck!

  4. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote in news:1143895014.137761.49120
    > @z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Im building a commuter with an older TREK frame. The frame doesn't have
    > > clearance for any more than 700x28 tires. I would like to use 32-35mm
    > > tires. Has anyone ever used 650c wheels on a 700c frame successfully?
    > > How does braking work? Thanks.
    > >

    > 650c tires usually only come in skinny widths, no more than 23mm. 650b is
    > probably what you want. It's a slightly larger bead seat diameter, so
    > braking is a slightly smaller hassle. Most 650b converts wind up using

    Dia-
    > Compe 750 centerpulls.

    This is incorrect, there is A single 650C (571mm diameter) tire that comes
    wider than 23mm, its the 28mm wide Terry Tellus ST (650Cx28 or 28-571):

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/571.html

    http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?c=Bike+Parts+&+Accessories&sc=Ter
    ry+Specific+Parts&item_no=24000

    If you want wider than 28mm, then converting to 650B (584mm diameter) tires
    is an option. You will need to do some measuring to determine how much
    longer a brake you'll need. Fortunately, Tektro is coming out with a longer
    dual pivot brake!

    > 650b tires usually go between 30-38mm wide (although there are probably
    > narrower and wider examples).
    >
    > Rivendell and Harris are probably the two main shops that sell the rims &
    > tires:
    >
    > http://www.rivbike.com
    > http://www.harriscyclery.com/26
    >
    > Sheldon has an excellent article on converting to 650b:
    > http://sheldonbrown.com/650b.html

  5. since my goal is to run wider than 28mm tires, is it possible to use
    26" rims. Are any brake calipers made that will work with extra long
    reach?

  6. since my goal is to run wider than 28mm tires, is it possible to use
    26" rims. Are any brake calipers made that will work with extra long
    reach?

  7. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Im building a commuter with an older TREK frame. The frame doesn't have
    > clearance for any more than 700x28 tires. I would like to use 32-35mm
    > tires. Has anyone ever used 650c wheels on a 700c frame successfully?
    > How does braking work? Thanks.

    Not too well, as you'd have to drag your feet.

    650C wheels rims are roughly one inch smaller radius than 700C, so your
    present rim brakes will grab the tire rather than the rim. Not good.

    Longer brake reach might work, but it may not be possible. Drum or disc
    brakes would work fine.

    --
    Ted Bennett

  8. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> 650c tires usually only come in skinny widths, no more than 23mm.

    <SNIP>

    > This is incorrect, there is A single 650C (571mm diameter) tire that
    > comes wider than 23mm, its the 28mm wide Terry Tellus ST (650Cx28 or
    > 28-571):

    Hence the qualifier "usually." 650Cs were originally a balloon tire size,
    but tires that size are rare, too.

    Actually, I saw that tire on Harris's site about five minutes after
    posting, and thought, "Crap, some contrarian's gonna give me grief." Thanks
    for that. :)

  9. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    You'll likely need go to 559 to do the trick, then you'll have a wider variety of rubber, especially wide.

  10. bfd

    bfd Guest

    "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > >> 650c tires usually only come in skinny widths, no more than 23mm.

    > <SNIP>
    > >>

    > > This is incorrect, there is A single 650C (571mm diameter) tire that
    > > comes wider than 23mm, its the 28mm wide Terry Tellus ST (650Cx28 or
    > > 28-571):

    > Hence the qualifier "usually." 650Cs were originally a balloon tire size,
    > but tires that size are rare, too.

    Actually, 650C (571mm) is the sized used by triathletes. The old "balloon"
    tires were probably 650A (590mm), and we all know that 650B (584mm) is used
    by the French and is being revitalized by Grant Petersen and Jan Heine.

    > Actually, I saw that tire on Harris's site about five minutes after
    > posting, and thought, "Crap, some contrarian's gonna give me grief."

    Thanks
    > for that. :)

    Hey, isn't that what "wreck.bike.techtalk" is all about?!

  11. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:

    >> <SNIP>
    >> >>
    >> > This is incorrect, there is A single 650C (571mm diameter) tire
    >> > that comes wider than 23mm, its the 28mm wide Terry Tellus ST
    >> > (650Cx28 or 28-571):

    >> Hence the qualifier "usually." 650Cs were originally a balloon tire
    >> size, but tires that size are rare, too.
    >>

    > Actually, 650C (571mm) is the sized used by triathletes. The old
    > "balloon" tires were probably 650A (590mm), and we all know that 650B
    > (584mm) is used by the French and is being revitalized by Grant
    > Petersen and Jan Heine.

    Quoth Sheldon:

    '571 mm 650C was originally a wide, ballon tire size, used on many older
    Schwinn cruisers. These days, however, it is mainly seen on triathlon bikes
    and time-trial machines. Available tires and rims are mostly very narrow
    models, intended for competition use.'

  12. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    meb wrote:
    > [email protected] Wrote:
    > > since my goal is to run wider than 28mm tires, is it possible to use
    > > 26" rims. Are any brake calipers made that will work with extra long
    > > reach?

    > You'll likely need go to 559 to do the trick, then you'll have a wider
    > variety of rubber, especially wide.
    >

    > --
    > meb

    um... 559 is the size most likely to give problems. I'm not going to do
    the math, maybe it could work with like BMX calipers and then the
    braking would basically suck and the bike's geometry change probably
    gets into the realm where it makes a difference (unless really fat
    tires are used, and those might not even clear the frame). 584 (650B)
    is the obvious choice here, as was suggested earlier.

  13. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 05:51:53 +1000, meb
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] Wrote:
    >> since my goal is to run wider than 28mm tires, is it possible to use
    >> 26" rims. Are any brake calipers made that will work with extra long
    >> reach?

    >You'll likely need go to 559 to do the trick, then you'll have a wider
    >variety of rubber, especially wide.

    And change the frame to one designed to take 559s too, seems much
    simpler and probably cheaper than trying to shoe-horn the wrong wheels
    into a 700c frame.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  14. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Hank Wirtz wrote:
    > "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > > "Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> <SNIP>

    > >> Hence the qualifier "usually." 650Cs were originally a balloon tire
    > >> size, but tires that size are rare, too.
    > >>

    > > Actually, 650C (571mm) is the sized used by triathletes. The old
    > > "balloon" tires were probably 650A (590mm), and we all know that 650B
    > > (584mm) is used by the French and is being revitalized by Grant
    > > Petersen and Jan Heine.
    > >

    > Quoth Sheldon:
    >
    > '571 mm 650C was originally a wide, ballon tire size, used on many older
    > Schwinn cruisers. These days, however, it is mainly seen on triathlon bikes
    > and time-trial machines. Available tires and rims are mostly very narrow
    > models, intended for competition use.'

    Does S7 actually predate 650c?

  15. Victor Kan

    Victor Kan Guest

    bfd wrote:
    > This is incorrect, there is A single 650C (571mm diameter) tire that comes
    > wider than 23mm, its the 28mm wide Terry Tellus ST (650Cx28 or 28-571):

    There are a few other 571mm tires wider than 23 in addition to the Tellus.

    There's the Serfas Urbana (also 28-571) and several models of Bontrager
    (25-571). I have one of the latter on my recumbent bike.

    --
    I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
    legitimate replies.

  16. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> Quoth Sheldon:
    >>
    >> '571 mm 650C was originally a wide, ballon tire size, used on many
    >> older Schwinn cruisers. These days, however, it is mainly seen on
    >> triathlon bikes and time-trial machines. Available tires and rims are
    >> mostly very narrow models, intended for competition use.'

    > Does S7 actually predate 650c?

    They're one and the same.

  17. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Hank Wirtz wrote:
    > "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >

    > >> Quoth Sheldon:
    > >>
    > >> '571 mm 650C was originally a wide, ballon tire size, used on many
    > >> older Schwinn cruisers. These days, however, it is mainly seen on
    > >> triathlon bikes and time-trial machines. Available tires and rims are
    > >> mostly very narrow models, intended for competition use.'

    > > Does S7 actually predate 650c?
    > >

    > They're one and the same.

    Yes, in a sense, but what I was asking is whether the wide, Schwinn,
    S-7-ish ones actually came before the narrow, French, 650ish ones.

  18. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1143932576.549120.248130
    @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

    > Hank Wirtz wrote:
    >> "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:

    >> > Does S7 actually predate 650c?
    >> >

    >> They're one and the same.

    > Yes, in a sense, but what I was asking is whether the wide, Schwinn,
    > S-7-ish ones actually came before the narrow, French, 650ish ones.

    If you mean, did 571-40 tires come before 571-23? Then yes.

  19. Nate Knutson

    Nate Knutson Guest

    Hank Wirtz wrote:
    > "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1143932576.549120.248130
    > @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
    >

    > > Hank Wirtz wrote:
    > >> "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > >> news:[email protected]:

    > >> They're one and the same.

    > > Yes, in a sense, but what I was asking is whether the wide, Schwinn,
    > > S-7-ish ones actually came before the narrow, French, 650ish ones.
    > >

    > If you mean, did 571-40 tires come before 571-23? Then yes.

    How old are the oldest 571-23's? And I'm not just asking about 23's,
    even though them and 20ish are the predominant narrow 571's today, I
    imagine that this wasn't always so.

  20. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "Nate Knutson" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > How old are the oldest 571-23's? And I'm not just asking about 23's,
    > even though them and 20ish are the predominant narrow 571's today, I
    > imagine that this wasn't always so.

    Dunno about oldest, but most would point to Ray Browning winning the '89
    Ironman NZ on a 650c bike as being the birth of their popularity.