650b descending

Crescentius Vespasianus

Guest
Anyone have experience descending with
lets say a riv saluki 650b wheel in
comparison to a standard op 700 wheel
with a 25 tire? The bike kind of
fascinates me, except it costs too much,
and why doesn't have some of the modern
improvements like a carbon fork, and
threadless headset, and a standard
shimano 10 speed sti, and an alu frame.

In article <[email protected]>,
Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone have experience descending with lets say a riv saluki 650b
> wheel in comparison to a standard op 700 wheel with a 25 tire?

Depends on the tire. I've ridden the very similar Bleriot a bit. It
was a cushier ride than a 700 x 25 (the 650Bs were inflated to 60 psi,
compared to the usual 100+ psi I use with my 700 x 25s) and was very
sure-footed in terms of feel. The fatter, softer tires didn't ride
noticeably slower- in this case Col de la Vies but there are near-slicks
available for 650B that are faster tires.

> The bike kind of fascinates me, except it costs too much, and why
> doesn't have some of the modern improvements like a carbon fork, and
> threadless headset, and a standard shimano 10 speed sti, and an alu
> frame.

Those things aren't improvements. YMMV.

On Oct 3, 3:40 pm, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Anyone have experience descending with
> lets say a riv saluki 650b wheel in
> comparison to a standard op 700 wheel
> with a 25 tire?

Why not just try some fatter 700C tires on a bike you already own?
IMO, getting involved with the oddball, really-nothing-new 650B wheel
size is pure folly. They are the classic case of "a solution in search
of a problem".

wrote:
> Anyone have experience descending with
> lets say a riv saluki 650b wheel in
> comparison to a standard op 700 wheel
> with a 25 tire? The bike kind of
> fascinates me, except it costs too much,
> and why doesn't have some of the modern
> improvements like a carbon fork, and
> threadless headset, and a standard
> shimano 10 speed sti, and an alu frame.

Add mystique as needed, only $6.99!

http://tinyurl.com/2qcyf9

On Oct 4, 9:21 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 3:40 pm, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > Anyone have experience descending with
> > lets say a riv saluki 650b wheel in
> > comparison to a standard op 700 wheel
> > with a 25 tire? The bike kind of
> > fascinates me, except it costs too much,
> > and why doesn't have some of the modern
> > improvements like a carbon fork, and
> > threadless headset, and a standard
> > shimano 10 speed sti, and an alu frame.

> Add mystique as needed, only $6.99!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2qcyf9

And, when ya can't ride yer 650B HobbitCycle for a few days 'cuz no
one stocks those weird size tires, you can smoke the bar wrap! ;-)

On Oct 4, 9:30 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 9:21 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 3, 3:40 pm, Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Anyone have experience descending with
> > > lets say a riv saluki 650b wheel in
> > > comparison to a standard op 700 wheel
> > > with a 25 tire? The bike kind of
> > > fascinates me, except it costs too much,
> > > and why doesn't have some of the modern
> > > improvements like a carbon fork, and
> > > threadless headset, and a standard
> > > shimano 10 speed sti, and an alu frame.

> > Add mystique as needed, only $6.99!

> >http://tinyurl.com/2qcyf9

> And, when ya can't ride yer 650B HobbitCycle for a few days 'cuz no
> one stocks those weird size tires, you can smoke the bar wrap! ;-)

Hey, don't bogart that Nitto, man!

On Oct 4, 10:16 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Why not just try some fatter 700C tires on a bike you already own?

Maybe his bike is like my Specialized Sequoia Sport, which has longish
chain stays for an off the shelf road bike made in this millenium that
should accomodate 32-622 tires, and in fact the seat tube clearance is
adequate for that. But the chainstay bridge with the fender mount is
in the way, limiting me to nominally 28-622 tires that are more like
26-622 (especially with a full coverage fender on it), which is
actually fine. I only tried the 32-622 as an experiment to see if I
could easily fit a fatter tired wheel from my other bike onto this
one, the answer being No.

Actually, I could probably fit the 32-622 on there if I deflated it
completely and had three hands to pinch the tire down in front, hold
the bike up and install the wheel. But I wouldn't want to change a
flat back there out on the road with that setup.

In article <[email protected]>,
Crescentius Vespasianus <[email protected]> wrote:
>Anyone have experience descending with
>lets say a riv saluki 650b wheel in
>comparison to a standard op 700 wheel
>with a 25 tire?

Fat tires make descending more fun if the rims are
wide enough to support them properly. If you put
a fat tire on a skinny rim, I find the resulting
squirm a bit unnerving. This is based on my experience
with 26" slicks and 700c wheels.

_ Booker C. Bense

Crescentius Vespasianus wrote:
> Anyone have experience descending with lets say a riv saluki 650b wheel
> in comparison to a standard op 700 wheel with a 25 tire? The bike kind
> of fascinates me, except it costs too much, and why doesn't have some of
> the modern improvements like a carbon fork, and threadless headset, and
> a standard shimano 10 speed sti, and an alu frame.

Grant Peterson building bicycles with CFRP forks, brifters and aluminium
alloy frames??? We will see "jim beam" endorsing "The Bicycle Wheel"
before that happens.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.