650C vs. 700C wheels - Need advice

Here's a question I'd appreciate you fine folks answering: if you switch from 700C to 650C wheels on a bike, are there any component changes that will need to be made (i.e. brakes, etc.)?? I just bought a TT bike and am considering 650C wheels vice the 700Cs that currently are on it. Thanks!!

jcbarnett said:
Here's a question I'd appreciate you fine folks answering: if you switch from 700C to 650C wheels on a bike, are there any component changes that will need to be made (i.e. brakes, etc.)?? I just bought a TT bike and am considering 650C wheels vice the 700Cs that currently are on it. Thanks!!
To the best of my knowledge you cannot switch the wheel size on a given frame. The fork and rear triangle are sized for one wheel size or the other. if you tried to put 700's on a 650 bike the dropouts wouldn't reach the skewer and conversely if you tried to put 650's on a 700 bike the brakes wouldn't touch the rims. Maybe someone out there knows how to jerry rig something, but it just doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Eden is right. Different frames for 650 and 700.

However I have used 650c wheels in a 26" MTB with V-brakes. :D

A pair of 650c front forks and a 650c wheel will drop the front end, but be careful, it may be too steep to be stable. :eek:

Hi,

I was wondering if you can tellme what is meant by overlap? I keep hearing about this but am not sure what people are referring to. I have just signed up for my first triathalon. I'm searching for a good but moderately priced road bike but have been quite shocked at the prices. So far I've looked at Specialized and Treks...women's bicycles. I'm also petite and need a small bike...any suggestions or advice is helpful. I find that much of the verbage I see written is way over my head and quite technical. This is all a bit daunting. I want to make a smart purchase since it looks like this is going to be quite an investment. I could use some help! Thanks for any advice.

Overlap is typically where your foot hits your front wheel when you're riding slow. This normally only happens on small frames with short top tubes - i.e. women specific small frames - with 700c wheels. As 650c wheels are smaller it negates the chance of the wheels hitting your feet.

When you're riding at normal riding pace overlap isn't usually an issue as you typically don't turn the wheel all that much, even when going around fairly sharp corners at speed.

Guess it depends on how serious of a racer you're going to be, if you want more practical then 700c, if you want more professional 650c.I have bikes with both 650's and 700's. My road race bike has 700's, my tt bike 650's, my winter bike 650's. My advice - forget about the wheel size and first and foremost find a bike that fits you well. My experience has been the opposite of Tri Girls. My 700c wheel bike fits me the best and I am fastest on it..

wahaneebelly said:
Guess it depends on how serious of a racer you're going to be, if you want more practical then 700c, if you want more professional 650c.I have bikes with both 650's and 700's. My road race bike has 700's, my tt bike 650's, my winter bike 650's. My advice - forget about the wheel size and first and foremost find a bike that fits you well. My experience has been the opposite of Tri Girls. My 700c wheel bike fits me the best and I am fastest on it..

Hi,
I am 5'1. I began riding a 700c bike 50C. After about a year I switched to a 650c 47c bike. It made all the difference to me. It just had a better fit.
Good luck!
Cyn

Wow, I was just surfing to buy a new bike because I was told that I was at a disadvantage on 650's out here in Colorado. I think I'll just upgrade my derailleurs and wheels. I have a 12 year old Trek 5200 that has ultegra front and back and bonetrager race lite wheels. I'm mostly riding hills (mountains) at distances of 25 - 50 miles sometimes 100. Any recommendations for wheels? Do I have to change the shifters if I get new derailleurs?

I am 6'1 170 and ride a 650 TT bike and a 700 road bike. I have had no problems with the 650 bike and think it climbs and accelerates better then the 700 bike. The 700 bike seems to decend better (rolls faster) and handle better at really high speeds (40 mph+ may be due to road bike geometry though). I think you will find just as many "experts" recommending one as you will the other. My advice would be to stick with 650 if you already own race wheels in order to save some money. I don't think that either one has a significant performance advantage over the other for a multisport athletes purposes unless you are really tall or really short.