650Cx23 tires and flats and ride

Skott

Guest
I am considering a Volae Club vs Strada. I like the better wheelset and setup on the Club but I am
concerned about the tires.Specifically thereare few available for 650C and none wider than 23mm. I
plan to ride roads but have some rough streets to negotiate before I get to smooth pavement. The
Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble. I am interested in the experience
of those riding 650x23.

On 21 May 2003 09:59:56 -0700, [email protected] (skott) wrote:

>The Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble.

I'm curious about what the Volae bikes won't accept a 26" wheel. Surely the size difference is
pretty minimal, and the only issue would be the adjustment necessary for the brakes. Most braking
systems have enough "slack" that they could be adjusted for both. Do the Volae use a proprietary
braking system?

--Scott

FWIW there is this:

http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/2400700.lasso

Originally posted by Skott
I am considering a Volae Club vs Strada. I like the better wheelset and setup on the Club but I am
concerned about the tires.Specifically thereare few available for 650C and none wider than 23mm. I
plan to ride roads but have some rough streets to negotiate before I get to smooth pavement. The
Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble. I am interested in the experience
of those riding 650x23.

Freewheeling <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 21 May 2003 09:59:56 -0700, [email protected] (skott) wrote:
>
> >The Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble.
>
> I'm curious about what the Volae bikes won't accept a 26" wheel. Surely the size difference is
> pretty minimal, and the only issue would be the adjustment necessary for the brakes. Most braking
> systems have enough "slack" that they could be adjusted for both. Do the Volae use a proprietary
> braking system?
>
> --Scott

Evidently so. I just spoke with Rolf and he says 26 wheel will not work.

Skott,

> Evidently so. I just spoke with Rolf and he says 26 wheel will not work.

They are probably using 39-49 mm reach brakes, like everybody else. If that is the case, you can use
47-57 mm reach brakes, and the 559's will work fine.

These brakes were not available for a long time. But retro-grouches like Grant Peterson and Sheldon
Brown had been pushing them to re-release them.

Warren

[email protected] (skott) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am considering a Volae Club vs Strada. I like the better wheelset and setup on the Club but I am
> concerned about the tires.Specifically thereare few available for 650C and none wider than 23mm. I
> plan to ride roads but have some rough streets to negotiate before I get to smooth pavement. The
> Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble. I am interested in the
> experience of those riding 650x23.

650 x 28C tires are available through Harris Cyclery:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/index.html#571

Given the choices available in 26" (559 ETRTO size), I'd say you're better off staying with
the Strada.

Jeff

On 21 May 2003 18:24:31 -0700, [email protected] (Warren Berger) wrote:

>They are probably using 39-49 mm reach brakes, like everybody else. If that is the case, you can
>use 47-57 mm reach brakes, and the 559's will work fine.
>
>These brakes were not available for a long time. But retro-grouches like Grant Peterson and Sheldon
>Brown had been pushing them to re-release them.

Warren:

Thanks. I just couldn't see why the 559s were a no go, with so little difference in radius. They're
just using the short reach brakes.

--Scott

Scott, I tend to agree. However, good quality dual pivot calipers don't seem to exist. Still
available are some old stock long reach ones, but their single pivot. The STRADA/CORSA's both use
/V-linear brakes on the rear and the bosses were situated to handle 559 or 571 wheelsets. I'm
guessing now, but the Bacchetta front caliper is made for them and may well be a medium reach. I
have a STRADA on the build rack soo I'll look n' measure it today.

Come over sometime, I'm only an a bay away.
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 21 May 2003 18:24:31 -0700, [email protected] (Warren Berger) wrote:
>
> >They are probably using 39-49 mm reach brakes, like everybody else. If that is the case, you can
> >use 47-57 mm reach brakes, and the 559's will work fine.
> >
> >These brakes were not available for a long time. But retro-grouches like Grant Peterson and
> >Sheldon Brown had been pushing them to re-release them.
>
> Warren:
>
> Thanks. I just couldn't see why the 559s were a no go, with so little difference in radius.
> They're just using the short reach brakes.
>
> --Scott

Don't know anything about respective brake clearances.

But, for whatever it's worth, according to captain bike, the 650 C (standard on Volae Club) is

ISO 571 mm Triathlon, time trial, high performance road bikes for smaller riders ,

and according to the cross reference:

ISO 571 mm = 26 x 1, 26 x 1 1/2, 26 x 1 3/4, 650 C

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html#iso

Strada rims are listed as ISO 559,

which corresponds to: 559 mm 26 x 1.00- x 2.125

Gawd, tire sizes are tough to keep track of.

I'm waiting for delivery of my Volae Club. I really did not want 23 tires so we have agreed on
650x25 tires. Rolf said the fit would be close but not a problem. He is taking care of the change
from the standard 23.

"skott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am considering a Volae Club vs Strada. I like the better wheelset and setup on the Club but I am
> concerned about the tires.Specifically thereare few available for 650C and none wider than 23mm. I
> plan to ride roads but have some rough streets to negotiate before I get to smooth pavement. The
> Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble. I am interested in the
> experience of those riding 650x23.

"Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm waiting for delivery of my Volae Club. I really did not want 23 tires so we have agreed on
> 650x25 tires. Rolf said the fit would be close but not a problem. He is taking care of the change
> from the standard 23.
>

> "skott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am considering a Volae Club vs Strada. I like the better wheelset and setup on the Club but I
> > am concerned about the tires.Specifically thereare few available for 650C and none wider than
> > 23mm. I plan to ride roads but have some rough streets to negotiate before I get to smooth
> > pavement. The Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble. I am interested
> > in the experience of those riding 650x23.

Thanks for all the info. I would still like to hear how riders are doing re: flats and 650Cx23 tires
on Corsas, Aeros and the like. Dave? What kind of tires were the 650x25 you mentioned?

Skott Shopping for a recumbent

Skott: I've ridden my Bacchetta Aero about 1600 miles, all down in Palm Springs on "regular"roads.
Right off the bat I had several flats with the OEM tires, the Vredesteins in 650x23. Down there we
have a fair amount of road debris; ie, glass and cactus/thistle which gave me the flats. I changed
to the Michelin Pro Race. I suspect that they are heavier but they do have a more substantial
carcass especially in the tread area. No flats since the change. The Michelins run @120# in contrast
to the 145# of the Vredesteins. Most of the DF riders down there use the Michelins in 700x23 and
have few flat problems. Good luck.

On Thu, 22 May 2003 07:23:41 -0400, "Jude T. McGloin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Come over sometime, I'm only an a bay away.

I'll do that soon. Need to get the hell out of here.

--Scott

Good question as to the tire brand - right now I don't know the answer. On our current tandem we
experimented with various tires and found the Panaracer Messenger (I guess designed to hold up for
bike messengers) to be excellent for durability and flat resistance - its also a folding tire that
we run at 110 psi in a 26x1.25 size.

"skott" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I'm waiting for delivery of my Volae Club. I really did not want 23
tires
> > so we have agreed on 650x25 tires. Rolf said the fit would be close but
not
> > a problem. He is taking care of the change from the standard 23.
> >

> > "skott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I am considering a Volae Club vs Strada. I like the better wheelset and setup on the Club but
> > > I am concerned about the tires.Specifically thereare few available for 650C and none wider
> > > than 23mm. I plan to ride roads but have some rough streets to negotiate before I get to
> > > smooth pavement. The Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble. I am
> > > interested in the experience of those riding 650x23.
>
> Thanks for all the info. I would still like to hear how riders are doing re: flats and 650Cx23
> tires on Corsas, Aeros and the like. Dave? What kind of tires were the 650x25 you mentioned?
>
> Skott Shopping for a recumbent

[email protected] (skott) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am considering a Volae Club vs Strada. I like the better wheelset and setup on the Club but I am
> concerned about the tires.Specifically thereare few available for 650C and none wider than 23mm. I
> plan to ride roads but have some rough streets to negotiate before I get to smooth pavement. The
> Strada will take 26 inch and hence more options if I have trouble. I am interested in the
> experience of those riding 650x23.

While I certainly like the flexibility of using 559 tires if I wish, I have had very good luck
with Micheline Axial Pro Race 650c tires. I have only had one flat in about 1000 miles which is
pretty good for where I ride. So far this is better than what I got from Comp Pools and Primo
Comets on my V-Rex.

Pat

I stand corrected. Rolf said he would put on 650 x 25 C if we can find some good tires in this size
- so far no luck. What confuses me is this business about ISO 571 mm = 26 x 1, 26 x 1 1/2, 26 x 1
3/4, 650 C. From this it would seem that various 26 inch tires should work?

"Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Good question as to the tire brand - right now I don't know the answer.
On
> our current tandem we experimented with various tires and found the Panaracer Messenger (I guess
> designed to hold up for bike messengers) to
be
> excellent for durability and flat resistance - its also a folding tire
that
> we run at 110 psi in a 26x1.25 size.
>

> "skott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > I'm waiting for delivery of my Volae Club. I really did not want 23
> tires
> > > so we have agreed on 650x25 tires. Rolf said the fit would be close
but
> not
> > > a problem. He is taking care of the change from the standard 23.
> > >

> > > "skott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
tires.Specifically
options

> > Thanks for all the info. I would still like to hear how riders are doing re: flats and 650Cx23
> > tires on Corsas, Aeros and the like. Dave? What kind of tires were the 650x25 you mentioned?
> >
> > Skott Shopping for a recumbent

I've been using Vredestein 650c X 23 tires for a little over a year. I also used the 700c version of
these same tires for about 2 years before that. I like the tires. I average over 2500 miles on a
front tire and a little over 2,000 miles on a rear. I rarely have a flat. Many times I replace the
tires without ever flating. Whenever I change tires I change tubes and I use Vredestein or
Continential long stem tubes tubes. I run the tires at 120# unless we're racing or TT then I'll pump
the tires past the recommended 145# to 160#. The tires handle very well where I ride and I'm very
pleased with them.

BentMick

571's use the old french designation of 650C. 559's were typically until the last 5 or so years
lower pressure ATB/MTB tires. Now they are available down to 559 X 28 or 26 X 1.0. 559s and 571
although catagorized a 26" tires in Sutherlands Bicycle Manual are not interchangable. The 571 or
650C was nearly extinct until it became a choice for triathalon bikes mostly among woman. Now its
becoming fashionable among male riders. The industries response to this was to start producing this
tire size in the most popular tires ie: Schwabe Stevilo, Michelin Pro Race, Pro Race Lite,
Hutchenson Carbon Comp, Verd Fortezza and Tricomp. These are in the 23mm size and now appearing in
the 20mm. The 559 has many more choices in widths and durability. Both in tires and rims. I use the
571 on my AERO and before that I used the 559 X 28 Schwabe Stevelios on my V-REX and STRADA with
light weight rims. I will sing my favorite song. Use the equipment that best suits your weight, bike
purpose and needs. My personal wants are light and fast for hard fast rides on smooth clean roads.
Flats and broken spokes ruin a ride. If your big, flat prone, ride on potholed roads with lots of
hazards you may want to consider a beefier 559 wheel/tire combo over the 571..
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I stand corrected. Rolf said he would put on 650 x 25 C if we can find
some
> good tires in this size - so far no luck. What confuses me is this
business
> about ISO 571 mm = 26 x 1, 26 x 1 1/2, 26 x 1 3/4, 650 C. From this it would seem that various 26
> inch tires should work?
>

> "Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Good question as to the tire brand - right now I don't know the answer.
> On
> > our current tandem we experimented with various tires and found the Panaracer Messenger (I guess
> > designed to hold up for bike messengers) to
> be
> > excellent for durability and flat resistance - its also a folding tire
> that
> > we run at 110 psi in a 26x1.25 size.
> >

> > "skott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Dave Harney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > tires
> but
> > not

> tires.Specifically
> options
> > >
> > > Thanks for all the info. I would still like to hear how riders are doing re: flats and 650Cx23
> > > tires on Corsas, Aeros and the like. Dave? What kind of tires were the 650x25 you mentioned?
> > >
> > > Skott Shopping for a recumbent

Thanks for the analysis, much appreciated - until I got into this thread I had no idea how
complicated this tire sizing had become.

news:[email protected]...