6'6'' 260lb beginner looking for bike I won't shatter

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by cadillac7985, Mar 16, 2008.

1. cadillac7985

cadillac7985 New Member

Hey everyone,
    I have been riding a 70's - 80's le tour II bike for years with no problems but i haven't really pushed it either. I want to get more serious into riding (nice long aggressive rides) and have a lot of questions. I'm 6'6'' and 260lb mostly muscle as I lift weight 4 days a week. I want to spend around a $1000 but i am not sure if i can get an aluminum frame or will I break it due to my weight the same question for a carbon fork? Do I need to get an all steel or titanium bike? I have looked on many bike manufactures sites and none of them say anything about an individual frame's max weight load. I don't want to be hauling ass down the road and have something on the bike fail due to my weight and i go face first into the asphalt. I appreciate any advise anyone can give on what I can use and what I am to big for and also keep it around $1000 if that is even possible. Also I am in sarasota, FL if anyone knows any good bike shops to go to in the area.

Thank you in advance -Frank

Tags:

2. lhyriel

lhyriel New Member

hi im 6'5 and i have recently purchased the Giant OCR 3 which has done me really well considering i do pretty long hardcore rides, i reacon its a pretty good buy for $800 and im 300 lb so im pretty sure it would be a good buy for you aswell.

3. swimmer88

swimmer88 New Member

honestly, i don't think you're weight is a problem. the geometry of a bike frame makes it able to handle a lot of weight. So as far as frame material (aluminum, titanium, carbon fiber...) i don't think it matters.

I have a friend who was a football center through college. He weighed about 270 and we put him on a Giant OCR 3 (same as lhyriel) and he did fine.

I think you're main issue will be finding a size that fits you, seeing that you are 6'6. I'm guessing you will ride a 62 or 64 size bike.

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Right about the frame. Sturdy wheels might be an issue, so be sure to discuss your options with your dealer.

5. geo8rge

geo8rge New Member

Due to your weight paying extra for a light weight frame is silly. I suggest a steel frame, a used bike from the 70s / 80s would be fine. Spend your money on parts. If you use a derailer consider Phil Wood hubs. You might consider an internally geared hub to reduce maintenance further.

6. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

From what I've read, steel is often considered the best frame material.
    Take a look at what Rivendell has to say. They have some great articles that may help you get a better idea what you're looking for.

Here's a link to the article on frames: www.rivbike.com/article/bicycle_making/frame_materials