6700 - Compact w/11-28 - anyone ride it?

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
Has anyone tried the new Ultegra 6700 Compact crank with the 11-28 cassette? If you have I would like to hear your experience with it.

I would assume that it's a useful combination in steep hills, though the wide spacing between gears can pose a challenge. At this point I just want to know how it's worked for you, and in particular how the jump up the larger sprockets has felt (any issues).

Thanks.

MTB's have an even larger crankset-to-sprocket rapport, however the rear derailleur has a long cage. I have a touring bike equipped with a triple chainring and large sprockets and i use one of those, it works fine and you can travel practically anywhere... even with panniers and stuff

vspa said:
MTB's have an even larger crankset-to-sprocket rapport, however the rear derailleur has a long cage.
I think noonie's concern is if the advertised 33-tooth capacity of the short-cage rear derailleur is reliable.

And I apologize for not having a reliable reply for that. I'd be inclined to try it though, being prepared to adjust the B-screw and chain length as needed.

oldbobcat said:
I think noonie's concern is if the advertised 33-tooth capacity of the short-cage rear derailleur is reliable.

And I apologize for not having a reliable reply for that. I'd be inclined to try it though, being prepared to adjust the B-screw and chain length as needed.

That's correct. The benefit is of course when I'm riding steep (and long) hills the 28 cog will be there if/when needed. In comparing this cassette with say the 11-25, the only difference is that at the end of the range the 11-28 has larger jumps (11/25/28) while the 11-25 has generally has shorter jumps.

Most of my rides are by myself, or with friends at an easy pace (not lots of pack riding where I need to keep up).