6V 5W MR11

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Martin, Dec 27, 2005.

  1. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    If you want some cheap, you may find (as I did) that your local B&Q is
    selling these very cheap as they are spare bulbs for some of the tacky
    christmas decorations.

    If you fancy a bunch of cheap bulbs to play with putting your own
    lights together then this might be a good source.

    ...d

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > If you want some cheap, you may find (as I did) that your local B&Q is
    > selling these very cheap as they are spare bulbs for some of the tacky
    > christmas decorations.
    >
    > If you fancy a bunch of cheap bulbs to play with putting your own
    > lights together then this might be a good source.

    Thanks David. How cheap? What beam angle? Ricam have 18-degree for
    about 70p but then there is a postage charge.

    6V 5W bulbs are also handy as backups for 12V systems when carrying a 6V
    or 7.2V backup battery.

    ~PB

  3. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    > > If you want some cheap, you may find (as I did) that your local B&Q is
    > > selling these very cheap as they are spare bulbs for some of the tacky
    > > christmas decorations.
    > >
    > > If you fancy a bunch of cheap bulbs to play with putting your own
    > > lights together then this might be a good source.

    > Thanks David. How cheap? What beam angle? Ricam have 18-degree for
    > about 70p but then there is a postage charge.

    12p each, single blister packs. No idea what th ebeam angle is (might
    bodge one up and play.)

    > 6V 5W bulbs are also handy as backups for 12V systems when carrying a 6V
    > or 7.2V backup battery.

    ...d

  4. David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 12p each, single blister packs. No idea what th ebeam angle is (might
    > bodge one up and play.)
    >
    >> 6V 5W bulbs are also handy as backups for 12V systems when carrying a 6V
    >> or 7.2V backup battery.

    You woz done. 10p at Exmouth. Also some 12V 10W bulbs.

    The beam isn't very well defined, but most of the light appears to be inside
    1.2m wide at 1.5m distance. A brighter spot is about 40% of that width.

    Anyone know where I can get some suitable connectors for them ?

    -adrian

  5. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Adrian Godwin wrote:
    > David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > 12p each, single blister packs. No idea what th ebeam angle is (might
    > > bodge one up and play.)
    > >
    > >> 6V 5W bulbs are also handy as backups for 12V systems when carrying a 6V
    > >> or 7.2V backup battery.

    > You woz done. 10p at Exmouth. Also some 12V 10W bulbs.

    It would have taken three days to cycle there minimum and three to get
    back.

    > The beam isn't very well defined, but most of the light appears to be inside
    > 1.2m wide at 1.5m distance. A brighter spot is about 40% of that width.
    >
    > Anyone know where I can get some suitable connectors for them ?

    Maplins do several. Not sure which size you want, possibly the G4.

    ...d

    > -adrian

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > Adrian Godwin wrote:
    >> David Martin <[email protected]r.co.uk> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> 12p each

    Ta, I'll be avin a butcher's then.

    Re beam angle: This is usually printed on the bulb itself, if not the box
    as well.

    /snip
    >> Anyone know where I can get some suitable connectors for them ?

    > Maplins do several. Not sure which size you want, possibly the G4.

    ..... www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=24252&criteria=g4&doy=28m12

    G4 aka GU4 is definitely for MR11. Larger 5.3 holders for MR16 tend to
    take MR11s as well thanks to slot-shaped sockets.

    ~PB

  7. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > David Martin wrote:
    > > Adrian Godwin wrote:

    > Ta, I'll be avin a butcher's then.
    >
    > Re beam angle: This is usually printed on the bulb itself, if not the box
    > as well.

    Not on these..

    ...d

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Martin wrote:
    > If you want some cheap, you may find (as I did) that your local B&Q is
    > selling these very cheap as they are spare bulbs for some of the tacky
    > christmas decorations.

    I found none at the Chingford branch, in fact nothing cheap or good at
    all. Forgot to look for a Christmas decoration left-overs department
    though. Still, the ride along the A406 was worth getting frost bite for
    :)

    ~PB