6W bulb for Cateye Micro?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Matt O'Toole, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. Cateye did sell a higher wattage version
    of this light, along with an external lead acid battery. I want to try putting one of these bulbs in
    mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough runtime for my
    needs. Has anyone tried one of these bulbs? Where can I get one? Any problems using it in a standard
    Micro, ie, will it melt anything?

    Matt O.

    Tags:

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell. Bill Brannon

    > I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. Cateye did
    sell
    > a higher wattage version of this light, along with an external lead acid battery. I want to try
    > putting one of these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current,
    > and enough runtime for my needs. Has anyone tried one of these bulbs? Where can I get one? Any
    > problems using it in a standard Micro, ie, will it melt anything?
    >
    > Matt O.

  3. On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:00:34 +0000, Matt O'Toole did issue forth:

    > I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. Cateye did sell a higher wattage
    > version of this light, along with an external lead acid battery. I want to try putting one of
    > these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough
    > runtime for my needs. Has anyone tried one of these bulbs? Where can I get one? Any problems using
    > it in a standard Micro, ie, will it melt anything?

    Could just be my imagination, but ISTR someone saying that the reflector for the 2.4W bulb has a
    tendency to melt with a 6W.

    --
    Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

  4. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I have a couple of the 6W micro units in addition to one of the 2.4W units. They seem physically
    identical, so if you can find the bulb it should fit ok.

    I run mine off a home made nightstick battery containing five sub-C NiMH cells. To do this you need
    the Cateye mount that mates with the contacts on the Micro and has a plug that matches the end of
    the nightstick lead.

    Nick

    > I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. Cateye did
    sell
    > a higher wattage version of this light, along with an external lead acid battery. I want to try
    > putting one of these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current,
    > and enough runtime for my needs. Has anyone tried one of these bulbs? Where can I get one? Any
    > problems using it in a standard Micro, ie, will it melt anything?
    >
    > Matt O.

  5. Doug

    Doug Guest

    On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:15:14 GMT, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. battery. I want to try putting one of
    >> these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough
    >> runtime for

    >If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell.

    Are these low draw bulbs? Alkalines at high draw won't put out 1.5v. So a (4x1.5 Alk)v > (4x1.2
    NiMH)v conclusion isn't ironclad. A simple MM would tell.

    Doug

  6. Doug

    Doug Guest

    >>> I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. battery. I want to try putting one of
    >>> these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough
    >>> runtime for
    >
    >>If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell.
    >>
    >Are these low draw bulbs? Alkalines at high draw won't put out 1.5v. So a (4x1.5 Alk)v > (4x1.2
    >NiMH)v conclusion isn't ironclad. A simple MM would tell.

    Nevermind, I don't know what I was thinking. Watt = Watt, period. I must have been thinking lumens.

    Doug

  7. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Doug wrote:

    >>>If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell.
    >>>

    >>Are these low draw bulbs? Alkalines at high draw won't put out 1.5v. So a (4x1.5 Alk)v > (4x1.2
    >>NiMH)v conclusion isn't ironclad. A simple MM would tell.
    >

    > Nevermind, I don't know what I was thinking. Watt = Watt, period. I must have been
    > thinking lumens.

    A watt = a watt -- but at what voltage is the bulb rated?

    David