6W bulb for Cateye Micro?

Matt O'Toole

Guest
I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. Cateye did sell a higher wattage version
of this light, along with an external lead acid battery. I want to try putting one of these bulbs in
mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough runtime for my
needs. Has anyone tried one of these bulbs? Where can I get one? Any problems using it in a standard
Micro, ie, will it melt anything?

Matt O.

If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell. Bill Brannon

> I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. Cateye did
sell
> a higher wattage version of this light, along with an external lead acid battery. I want to try
> putting one of these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current,
> and enough runtime for my needs. Has anyone tried one of these bulbs? Where can I get one? Any
> problems using it in a standard Micro, ie, will it melt anything?
>
> Matt O.

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:00:34 +0000, Matt O'Toole did issue forth:

> I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. Cateye did sell a higher wattage
> version of this light, along with an external lead acid battery. I want to try putting one of
> these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough
> runtime for my needs. Has anyone tried one of these bulbs? Where can I get one? Any problems using
> it in a standard Micro, ie, will it melt anything?

Could just be my imagination, but ISTR someone saying that the reflector for the 2.4W bulb has a
tendency to melt with a 6W.

--
Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

I have a couple of the 6W micro units in addition to one of the 2.4W units. They seem physically
identical, so if you can find the bulb it should fit ok.

I run mine off a home made nightstick battery containing five sub-C NiMH cells. To do this you need
the Cateye mount that mates with the contacts on the Micro and has a plug that matches the end of
the nightstick lead.

Nick

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 01:15:14 GMT, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. battery. I want to try putting one of
>> these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough
>> runtime for

>If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell.

Are these low draw bulbs? Alkalines at high draw won't put out 1.5v. So a (4x1.5 Alk)v > (4x1.2
NiMH)v conclusion isn't ironclad. A simple MM would tell.

Doug

>>> I'm wondering if I can put a 5-6W bulb in my Cateye Micro. battery. I want to try putting one of
>>> these bulbs in mine. 4 AA 1800mah NiMH batteries. should provide plenty of current, and enough
>>> runtime for
>
>>If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell.
>>
>Are these low draw bulbs? Alkalines at high draw won't put out 1.5v. So a (4x1.5 Alk)v > (4x1.2
>NiMH)v conclusion isn't ironclad. A simple MM would tell.

Nevermind, I don't know what I was thinking. Watt = Watt, period. I must have been thinking lumens.

Doug

Doug wrote:

>>>If this is a 6 volt system you will need 5 NiMH @ 1.2 volts / cell.
>>>

>>Are these low draw bulbs? Alkalines at high draw won't put out 1.5v. So a (4x1.5 Alk)v > (4x1.2
>>NiMH)v conclusion isn't ironclad. A simple MM would tell.
>

> Nevermind, I don't know what I was thinking. Watt = Watt, period. I must have been
> thinking lumens.

A watt = a watt -- but at what voltage is the bulb rated?

David