7 & 8 speed compatibility

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lloyd Kwong, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Lloyd Kwong

    Lloyd Kwong Guest

    Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
    Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
    'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?

    On a separate note, why can't non v-brake levers be used with v-brakes? Do they simply not pull
    enough cable?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. >From: [email protected] (Lloyd Kwong)

    >Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
    >Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
    >'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?

    Yes, the 8 speed shifter will work. If properly adjusted it will work just like the 7 speed shifter.
    I know because I used this combination for a couple of years.

    George F. Johnson

  3. David Ornee

    David Ornee Guest

    "Lloyd Kwong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
    > Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
    > 'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?
    >
    > On a separate note, why can't non v-brake levers be used with v-brakes? Do they simply not pull
    > enough cable?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Center to center spacing on Shimano 7 speed is 5.0 mm Center to center spacing on Shimano 8 speed is
    4.8 mm The difference is small, but it isn't precisely the same spacing. According Sheldon Brown:
    "Modern indexing systems are so forgiving, however, that many theoretically incompatible
    combinations actually work fairly well." You can see more details in his fine article at URL:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    as does 9 with 8...

    Mike "George F. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: [email protected] (Lloyd Kwong)
    >
    > >Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
    > >Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
    > >'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?
    >
    > Yes, the 8 speed shifter will work. If properly adjusted it will work
    just
    > like the 7 speed shifter. I know because I used this combination for a
    couple
    > of years.
    >
    > George F. Johnson

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Not true. My 9sp STI mtn levers are shifting my 8sp XT rear der. just fine without any
    monkeying around.

    Mike "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >as does 9 with 8...
    >
    > Not the same unless you clamp the cable on the upperside on the rear derailleur.
    >
    > 7 and 8 speed are vitually the same.

    > Do they simply not pull enough cable?
    >
    > They can be used but they are touchy (over the bars we go) and require
    careful
    > adjustment to avoid bottoming out against the lever. I don't recommend
    it.

    > jon isaacs

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    yup

    Mike "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Not true. My 9sp STI mtn levers are shifting my 8sp XT rear der. just
    fine
    > >without any monkeying around.
    > >
    > >Mike
    >
    > With an 8 speed cog set??
    >
    > jon isaacs

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    Nope, 8sp rear derailleur, 8sp cassette, 9sp XTR shifters. I was amazed that I had found "8sp XTR"
    'cause everything shifts fine, till I looked at the levers themselves and saw that they were 9sp. So
    I figured I'd run what I had till this cassette and chain's worn out.

    I may have managed to hit a sweet spot in the wear of the entire system, I haven't tried to
    duplicate the feat yet.

    news:[email protected]...