7 & 8 speed compatibility

Lloyd Kwong

Guest
Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?

On a separate note, why can't non v-brake levers be used with v-brakes? Do they simply not pull
enough cable?

Thanks in advance.

>From: [email protected] (Lloyd Kwong)

>Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
>Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
>'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?

Yes, the 8 speed shifter will work. If properly adjusted it will work just like the 7 speed shifter.
I know because I used this combination for a couple of years.

George F. Johnson

"Lloyd Kwong" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
> Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
> 'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?
>
> On a separate note, why can't non v-brake levers be used with v-brakes? Do they simply not pull
> enough cable?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Center to center spacing on Shimano 7 speed is 5.0 mm Center to center spacing on Shimano 8 speed is
4.8 mm The difference is small, but it isn't precisely the same spacing. According Sheldon Brown:
"Modern indexing systems are so forgiving, however, that many theoretically incompatible
combinations actually work fairly well." You can see more details in his fine article at URL:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#spacing

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

as does 9 with 8...

Mike "George F. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: [email protected] (Lloyd Kwong)
>
> >Would someone know if you can use a Deore LX 8 speed shifter with a 7 speed freewheel? My current
> >Deore LX 7-speed shifter died and I saw a 8-speed shifter available. Could I just use the 1st 7
> >'clicks' of the 8-speed shifter?
>
> Yes, the 8 speed shifter will work. If properly adjusted it will work
just
> like the 7 speed shifter. I know because I used this combination for a
couple
> of years.
>
> George F. Johnson

Not true. My 9sp STI mtn levers are shifting my 8sp XT rear der. just fine without any
monkeying around.

Mike "Jon Isaacs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >as does 9 with 8...
>
> Not the same unless you clamp the cable on the upperside on the rear derailleur.
>
> 7 and 8 speed are vitually the same.

> Do they simply not pull enough cable?
>
> They can be used but they are touchy (over the bars we go) and require
careful
> adjustment to avoid bottoming out against the lever. I don't recommend
it.

> jon isaacs

Nope, 8sp rear derailleur, 8sp cassette, 9sp XTR shifters. I was amazed that I had found "8sp XTR"
'cause everything shifts fine, till I looked at the levers themselves and saw that they were 9sp. So
I figured I'd run what I had till this cassette and chain's worn out.

I may have managed to hit a sweet spot in the wear of the entire system, I haven't tried to
duplicate the feat yet.

news:[email protected]...