7 and 8/9 speed freehub bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lloyd Kwong

I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the wheel,
but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit? Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or even MTB 8/9
speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)? Is there really any difference between freehub bodies
other than the Dura Ace and XTR models using titanium? If not, I'd probably get the most affordable
compatible freehub.

Lloyd Kwong wrote:
> I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
> freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the
> wheel, but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit? Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or
> even MTB 8/9 speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)? Is there really any difference between
> freehub bodies other than the Dura Ace and XTR models using titanium? If not, I'd probably get the
> most affordable compatible freehub.

no true difference except quality. i would suggest getting a lx/105 or better, the lower end stuff
is fairly weak. you Will have problems with the dust seals.

This is a little off subject but why did Shimano not change the name from 600 when they went from 6
to 7 speed? I own a six speed that is Shimano 600 and find it confusing when I hear some 600 are
seven speed.

James Connell wrote in message ...
>Lloyd Kwong wrote:
>> I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
>> freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the
>> wheel, but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit? Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or
>> even MTB 8/9 speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)? Is there really any difference between
>> freehub bodies other than the Dura Ace and XTR models using titanium? If not, I'd probably get
>> the most affordable compatible freehub.
>
>no true difference except quality. i would suggest getting a lx/105 or better, the lower end stuff
>is fairly weak. you Will have problems with the dust seals.

BillX wrote:
> This is a little off subject but why did Shimano not change the name from 600 when they went from
> 6 to 7 speed? I own a six speed that is Shimano 600 and find it confusing when I hear some 600 are
> seven speed.
>
> James Connell wrote in message ...
>
>>Lloyd Kwong wrote:
>>
>>>I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
>>>freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the
>>>wheel, but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit? Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or
>>>even MTB 8/9 speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)? Is there really any difference between
>>>freehub bodies other than the Dura Ace and XTR models using titanium? If not, I'd probably get
>>>the most affordable compatible freehub.
>>
>>no true difference except quality. i would suggest getting a lx/105 or better, the lower end stuff
>>is fairly weak. you Will have problems with the dust seals.
>>
>
>
>
they added the 'ultegra'.

isk-<< I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the wheel,
but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit?

No-

<< Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or even MTB 8/9 speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)?

You can use a freehub that came out when the system was 8s only. The 9s ones, like 6500 and other 9s
ones will not work. A 6400 one will probably work great.

<< Is there really any difference between freehub bodies other than the Dura Ace and XTR models
using titanium?

These won't work, sit too far into the hub body.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.