7 and 8/9 speed freehub bodies

Lloyd Kwong

Guest
I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the wheel,
but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit? Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or even MTB 8/9
speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)? Is there really any difference between freehub bodies
other than the Dura Ace and XTR models using titanium? If not, I'd probably get the most affordable
compatible freehub.

Lloyd Kwong wrote:
> I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
> freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the
> wheel, but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit? Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or
> even MTB 8/9 speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)? Is there really any difference between
> freehub bodies other than the Dura Ace and XTR models using titanium? If not, I'd probably get the
> most affordable compatible freehub.

no true difference except quality. i would suggest getting a lx/105 or better, the lower end stuff
is fairly weak. you Will have problems with the dust seals.

This is a little off subject but why did Shimano not change the name from 600 when they went from 6
to 7 speed? I own a six speed that is Shimano 600 and find it confusing when I hear some 600 are
seven speed.

BillX wrote:
> This is a little off subject but why did Shimano not change the name from 600 when they went from
> 6 to 7 speed? I own a six speed that is Shimano 600 and find it confusing when I hear some 600 are
> seven speed.
>
> James Connell wrote in message ...
>
>>Lloyd Kwong wrote:
>>
>>>I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
>>>freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the
>>>wheel, but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit? Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or
>>>even MTB 8/9 speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)? Is there really any difference between
>>>freehub bodies other than the Dura Ace and XTR models using titanium? If not, I'd probably get
>>>the most affordable compatible freehub.
>>
>>no true difference except quality. i would suggest getting a lx/105 or better, the lower end stuff
>>is fairly weak. you Will have problems with the dust seals.

they added the 'ultegra'.

isk-<< I'm planning to replace the 7sp freehub body on my old Shimano 600 road hubs with a 8/9 speed
freehub body in so that I can run a 9sp cassette on it. I'm aware I will have to re-dish the wheel,
but will ANY 8/9 speed shimano freehub work/fit?

No-

<< Can I use a 6500, 6402, 5500, 105sc or even MTB 8/9 speed freehub bodies (XT,LX, Deore, STX-RC)?

You can use a freehub that came out when the system was 8s only. The 9s ones, like 6500 and other 9s
ones will not work. A 6400 one will probably work great.

<< Is there really any difference between freehub bodies other than the Dura Ace and XTR models
using titanium?

These won't work, sit too far into the hub body.