Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

7 gears, instead of 5 ?

Started by Jack · · Last activity · 4 posts · 837 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
10 October 2003
Last activity
11 October 2003
Original author
Jack
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
837
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

    I have a 15-speed ATB, and its steel rear wheel has 5 gears. I got hold of an aluminum rear wheel
    with 7 gears (it says Exage FH-HG50).

    Would there be any problem with using the Exage wheel? I did try it, and found that I had to use a
    washer in order for the quick-connect to tighten up on the frame. But, on a very short ride I also
    found that I could not shift into the largest gear. I assume that the shift cable would need some
    adjustment, but I'm asking here to save wasted time in case this idea has some fatal flaw. Thanks.

    Also, the largest gear seems to to be aluminum, while the others are steel. Why is that?

    -----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
    newsfeed.comnewsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

  2. Jack said:

    Would there be any problem with using the Exage wheel?

    Should be no problem at all.

    Quoted message said:

    I did try it, and found that I had to use a washer in order for the quick-connect to tighten up on
    the frame.

    Odd. Maybe your frame has very thin dropouts?

    Quoted message said:

    But, on a very short ride I also found that I could not shift into the largest gear.

    The derailleur limit screws will need to be adjusted, since the 7-gear cassette is wider than your
    5-speed. BTW, since your 5-speed is a freewheel hub, the 7-speed is probably a better design.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, the largest gear seems to to be aluminum, while the others are steel. Why is that?

    I doubt that it is aluminum. An aluminum cassette sprocket would not last very long. Some are
    titanium, but only the weight-weenies used aluminum sprockets, and they changed them often. I have
    seen such freewheels, and they are very, very light.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve _`\(,_ | death. And some that die
    deserve life. Can you give it to (_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in
    judgement. -- J. R. R. Tolkien

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Jack
    *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

    I have a 15-speed ATB, and its steel rear wheel has 5 gears. I got hold of an aluminum rear wheel
    with 7 gears (it says Exage FH-HG50).

    Would there be any problem with using the Exage wheel? I did try it, and found that I had to use a
    washer in order for the quick-connect to tighten up on the frame. But, on a very short ride I also
    found that I could not shift into the largest gear. I assume that the shift cable would need some
    adjustment, but I'm asking here to save wasted time in case this idea has some fatal flaw. Thanks.

    Also, the largest gear seems to to be aluminum, while the others are steel. Why is that?

    -----= Posted via Newsfeed.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
    newsfeed.comnewsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

    Take your derailleur limits stops to the extremes if your going up 2 sprockets. Back down if you need to. Derailleurs accomodate an extra sprocket. Some people report getting away with 2. Going up 2 with your shifters is unliikely to work, you might need replacement. You can check your derailluer independent when on the adjacent sprocket by pullin the cable at a bare spot by hand after you open up your limit stops to see if you can get the der to go the large sprocket. Since you are so close to getting it to work on all 7, keep playing with it to se if you can get the 7th sprocket. Else, decide on whether th upgrade shifter or deraileur or stay on the new 6 speed upgrade you have implemented.

    Sometimes the larger sprockets are made of lighter material to save weight. The larger sprockets distribute the load over more teeth so wear is not much of an issue. More metal, so more weight savings.

    If you had an aluminum bike, I'd be concerned with frame damage from the extra width. Steel is flexible enough that the extra 6 mm shouldn't be a problem.

  4. Jack <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

    I have a 15-speed ATB, and its steel rear wheel has 5 gears. I got hold of an aluminum rear wheel
    with 7 gears (it says Exage FH-HG50).

    Would there be any problem with using the Exage wheel? I did try it, and found that I had to use a
    washer in order for the quick-connect to tighten up on the frame.

    1)The part you describe is available in various OLN widths. It sounds like you have a hub with an
    OLN that is smaller than the dropout spacing on your bike.

    It would be better to adjust spacers on the axle (add some if needed), but you should also re-dish
    the wheel or the alignment may be off. Your adding washers to one side will move the wheel rim off
    centre, so lead to poor tracking.

    2)What shifters do you have? If you have 5 speed indexed shifters then they will not be indexed to
    the 7-speed freewheel, if you have non-indexed shifters then you will just need a bit of
    adjustment ot the derailleur.

    Quoted message said:

    But, on a very short ride I also found that I could not shift into the largest gear. I assume that
    the shift cable would need some adjustment, but I'm asking here to save wasted time in case this
    idea has some fatal flaw. Thanks.

    Also, the largest gear seems to to be aluminum, while the others are steel. Why is that?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.