7 Reasons To Start Bike Riding

Lizel

Feb 17, 2015
It Torches Calories
A 135-pound woman pedaling 12 to 14 miles an hour blasts 488 calories in 60 minutes.

You Can Do It on the Go
Half of American workers live within five miles of their workplace, according to the most recent National Household Transportation Survey. That's a totally doable 20-minute ride each way. If you live close to your office, you can pedal to work twice a week and burn up to 3,000 extra calories—close to one pound of fat—each month.

It Tones You All Over
Cyclists are notorious for having killer legs. After all, the quads, glutes, and calves are propelling the bike. But working the handlebar sculpts your upper body too, giving you balanced tone, says Erik Moen, a physical therapist who treats elite athletes.

It Boosts Energy
Feeling sluggish? A study published in the journalPsychotherapy and Psychosomatics found that bike riding improved energy levels by 20 percent and decreased fatigue by 65 percent. Why? Cycling triggers your brain to release the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is linked to energy, says lead author Patrick O'Connor, Ph.D., a professor of kinesiology at the University of Georgia at Athens. There's no need to ride hard to harness the perk. People in the study who pedaled at a low to moderate pace three times a week fought fatigue best.

It Saves Your Joints
"Riding a bike puts a lot less stress on the knees, ankles, and spine than walking or running," Moen says. Get the perfect fit: Your knee should bend just slightly (about 25 degrees) on the down pedal stroke. If it's too straight or too bent, bring your ride to a bike shop and have a professional fitter adjust your saddle.

Every Muscle Feels It
Find a hill that takes three to 10 minutes to climb, suggests Rebecca Rusch, a world-champion mountain bike racer. Ride up two or three times, spending roughly half the time pedaling out of the saddle. Pedaling while standing engages your core and triceps as you stabilize your body over the bike.

It Protects Your Ticker
Heart disease is the number-one killer of women in this country, and two top risk factors are high blood pressure and high LDL cholesterol. In one study, researchers had 32 women ride at a moderate to high intensity three times a week for at least half an hour. After a year, they'd lowered their blood pressure and LDL, as well as significantly increased their aerobic fitness. "Look for a road or path where you can ride for at least 30 minutes without stopping so you can keep a consistently high pace," Rusch says.

Source; http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/bicycle-fitness

Reactions: roadtrip
There are many many reasons why we should, namely health concerns, but the basic one is because we love it and it's great to ride, a joy in life.

My primary reason for biking is my love for biking. Isn't it nice to feel the wind and to see you are moving by yourself unlike in a car where an engine is moving you? Biking is independence, it gives you the feeling of strength that you can live by yourself (just a feeling though). Secondary to that is my need for a good exercise because I am overweight and I get over the scale limit whenever I would quit biking. And thirdly is the relaxation of my mind that I get when I am on the saddle.

All good points, but everyone cycles for different reasons. Some like the health benefits, and others just like the challenge of longer rides. I ride for dozens of reasons, but mostly I just enjoy every ride to the fullest extent, especially when I'm pushing myself hard.

Yep, any sport we do we gotta love it or else we simply won't make it. Health benefits are just good side effects. :)

Cycling is great fun. But it does more good to women than they could ever think of. It not only strengthens their bones, muscles, joints among others but also relieves them from mood swings and other mental health issues. Heart failure is most common in elderly women. Biking, being a cardio toner, would reduce the risk of congestive heart failure later in their lives.

gavinfree said:
All good points, but everyone cycles for different reasons. Some like the health benefits, and others just like the challenge of longer rides. I ride for dozens of reasons, but mostly I just enjoy every ride to the fullest extent, especially when I'm pushing myself hard.
In the article there isn't one particular reason to start riding you're bike. There's seven of them, and I don't think that every particular person rides his/her bike for a different reason, because it's either health benefits, a sort of exercise, or recreationally they are riding for.

I just started because the kids in my street were riding. After I tried it though, I loved it. So why try? If you haven't as a kid it's a little strange, all kids ride their bikes.

Sunflogun said:
I just started because the kids in my street were riding. After I tried it though, I loved it. So why try? If you haven't as a kid it's a little strange, all kids ride their bikes.
I agree that all kids ride but I started biking when I was in high school. Parents during those days were kinda strict with their daughters because girls should not have scars on their legs lest they would be teased by the boys. But a high schooler has some sort of independence when it comes to social activities like athletics or sports. And at the time, every popular was the bike rental in the street corner so it's not easy not to learn riding.

I have to say that I believe cycling to be one of the best possible exercises that you can do, because it really does tone your body without you having to be out on your bike for hours and hours to get the result that you're looking for. One thing that I have found, too, is that it can really boost your mood - as exercise releases endorphins into the brain, and it seems to be very effective during cycle specifically. So if you're still in two minds about whether to try it or not, I would say that it is always worth a go, as you never know just how much of a benefit you might be able to get from it!

Yesterday I spend quite a few time on my bike and it was a big help. I had quite a few places to go and it was the most practical, faster than by car and by foot.

Much thanks - I will chart this down, because I do not bike on a daily basis. I am starting to bike more though, so seeing this helps motivate me.

Bonzer said:
Cycling is great fun. But it does more good to women than they could ever think of. It not only strengthens their bones, muscles, joints among others but also relieves them from mood swings and other mental health issues. Heart failure is most common in elderly women. Biking, being a cardio toner, would reduce the risk of congestive heart failure later in their lives.
Absolutely agree! In our family cicling is a hobby as well as the regular cardio toner.

Cycling improves blood circulation besides enhancing your muscle strength. Cycling can help you control your body weight. Cycling also makes you to stay fit.

I started cycling because my parents gave me a bike for Christmas when I was 10 and all the other kids had a bike. Boy, did I feel free that summer! (I live in the Southern Hemisphere). I could go wherever I wanted, whenever.

When I entered college I guess I craved some of that freedom and got a bike again. Plus I was overweight and needed the exercise. When I didn't have classes I made up excuses to take rides: shopping, errands, mailing letters, anything.

Now I got my first job and cycling is a challenge as much as it's a pleasant experience, my commute being 10mi each way. I love seeing myself feeling less and less tired every week and enjoy the rides back home with the sunset. I started riding my bike to work once a week, now I'm doint it 2x a week and I hope to get to the point I cant cycle to work most of the week or two days in row.

I rode my bike as a kid and stuff, but I started cycling a little more seriously in my twenties and for me it's mostly about fitness.
I love that feeling of conquering a climb I've never finished before, it's like a concrete reminder of how much my strength has grown. For me it's been a great way to track my fitness level because when we do the same trails every couple weeks or so, it's easy to see how I'm improving and in what way.
It's also a great way to get outside and get my nature time in. I hate running but I love being outside during my work out so it's a happy medium, and a day spent riding around out in the bush is always perfect to clear my mind.

I agree with the statement that it saves the joints. This is the reason why I chose cycling over jogging or other sports that impact the joints. I may not feel the effect now but later on I know there will be some aches and swelling.

I love what cycling does for muscles and joints. I often suffer stiffness in the joints and cycle a lot too. I feel much better these days than I felt doing no form of exercise before.

These are some great reasons to start cycling. I first got involved with cycling because I wanted to improve my health and thought it would be a fun way to exercise while also exploring the neighborhood/areas around me.

It's also cheap, while in most european countries commuting can be kind of harsh on your pocket. It gives you nice legs and also you feel like flying :)