7 ring cassette on 9 speed wheel?

LrngToFly

May 20, 2004
Hi-

I just discovered that I've cracked my back rim and am wanting to be able to get back riding in fairly short order. I'm interested in buying a pre built wheel- the only problem is that I have a 1991 bike that has a 7 ring cassette and the pre built wheels take 9 or 10 ring cassettes. Any chance I can order one of these and put in a spacer, or do I need to get a rim and then have it built up with my existing freewheel?

If spacers exist, where would I be able to get one?

Thanks much for any advice! AL

Originally posted by LrngToFly
Hi-

I just discovered that I've cracked my back rim and am wanting to be able to get back riding in fairly short order. I'm interested in buying a pre built wheel- the only problem is that I have a 1991 bike that has a 7 ring cassette and the pre built wheels take 9 or 10 ring cassettes. Any chance I can order one of these and put in a spacer, or do I need to get a rim and then have it built up with my existing freewheel?

If spacers exist, where would I be able to get one?

Thanks much for any advice! AL
There is a specific 4.5mm spacer that any LBS can get that allows use of shimano 7 speed casettes on a shimano 8/9 speed freehub.If you have a freewheel or hub other than shimano compatible,then you have bigger issues to deal with. . Also, new wheels/hubs have 130 dropout spacing.If your frame stays are aluminum or CF and have 126mm spacing,don't try and use a 130 hub in it.

Ah, okay. I'm reading a bit about this on Sheldon Brown's website too.

I suspect I do have 126 mm hubs and yes, I do have an aluminum frame- looks like I'll have to order the rims and have a LBS build my wheels.

Thanks much!

Ah, okay. I'm reading a bit about this on Sheldon Brown's website too.

I suspect I do have 126 mm hubs and yes, I do have an aluminum frame- looks like I'll have to order the rims and have a LBS build my wheels.

Thanks much!

I have a set of Shimano 105 7 speedd HG Cassette wheels built on New Old Stock FIR EA 50 rims ... and the hub is also NOS.
126 mm OLD
Front Hub is Suntour high quality.
32 spoke, DT Double Butted spokes, DT Brass nipples.

Contact me direct if interested. or for pictures and pricing.

dave at ornee dot net

Do some research on your bike: I have an 1988 Kestrel, and the drop outs are spaced at 128 to allow for 126 to 130 hubs.

Do front hubs have the same spacing as rear hubs for a bike? I'm thinking about buying a prebuilt front wheel... Will I run into the same problem? Thanks again for any advice.

Do front hubs have the same spacing as rear hubs for a bike? I'm thinking about buying a prebuilt front wheel... Will I run into the same problem? Thanks again for any advice.

All standard road wheels are built with 100 mm OLD.
No problem.

You'll need a spacer between the cassette and hub. Standard value is 4.5mm, but I found I had to go thinner in one instance. Get a bunch of spacers your LBS knocks out of old cassettes, that should give you a good mix.

Measure your rear spacing directly. I'd be suprised if it was 128/130 mm

Originally posted by dobber
You'll need a spacer between the cassette and hub. Standard value is 4.5mm, but I found I had to go thinner in one instance. G
That's likely becasue of bolt or big rivet heads on the backside of the casette,holding cogs togetehr.. Notching the spacer for clearance is the fix.They can also be removed.