7 spd freewheel spacer thickness?

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How thick are the spacers supposed to be, between the sprockets of a 7
> speed freewheel?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Lewis.

Depends on the brand, model and location on the body. Generally around 3mm
but can be from 2.7mm to 3.15mm.

Chas.

On Feb 13, 10:55 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > How thick are the spacers supposed to be, between the sprockets of a 7
> > speed freewheel?

> > Thanks.

> > Lewis.

> Depends on the brand, model and location on the body. Generally around 3mm
> but can be from 2.7mm to 3.15mm.
>
> Chas.

OK, thanks.

How about if I say Shimano? ( I don't know why I forgot to add this
the first time)

Lewis.

*****

> On Feb 13, 10:55 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > How thick are the spacers supposed to be, between the sprockets of a

7
> > > speed freewheel?

> > > Thanks.

> > > Lewis.

> > Depends on the brand, model and location on the body. Generally around

3mm
> > but can be from 2.7mm to 3.15mm.
> >
> > Chas.

> OK, thanks.
>
> How about if I say Shimano? ( I don't know why I forgot to add this
> the first time)
>
> Lewis.

Steel spacers in Shimano 7sp freewheels are listed at 3.1mm.

Shimano 7sp cassettes are listed at 3.1mm for steel spacers and 3.15mm for
resin (plastic) spacers.

I think that some of the later Shimano 7sp HyperGlide freewheels use resin
spacers so they would be 3.15mm.

The difference between steel and resin spacers is only .05mm or .002" so
it's not very significant.

Hope that helps.

Chas.

On Feb 16, 1:01 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:cf811d49-f3b7-4f25-8450-aee9857ae2d9@d70g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...> On Feb 13, 10:55 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:[email protected]...

> 7

> > > Depends on the brand, model and location on the body. Generally around

> 3mm
> > > but can be from 2.7mm to 3.15mm.

> > > Chas.

> > OK, thanks.

> > How about if I say Shimano? ( I don't know why I forgot to add this
> > the first time)

> > Lewis.

> Steel spacers in Shimano 7sp freewheels are listed at 3.1mm.
>
> Shimano 7sp cassettes are listed at 3.1mm for steel spacers and 3.15mm for
> resin (plastic) spacers.
>
> I think that some of the later Shimano 7sp HyperGlide freewheels use resin
> spacers so they would be 3.15mm.
>
> The difference between steel and resin spacers is only .05mm or .002" so
> it's not very significant.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Chas.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I'll bet the resin spacers are fractionally thicker to allow for them
compressing upon installation. ?

Lewis.

*****

I'll bet the resin spacers are fractionally thicker to allow for them compressing upon installation?

Given their lateral cross-section area and the torque used in assembly that shouldn't be possible. But the resin spacers (I looked at latest) looks like they're cast, and the sides that goes against the sprockets aren't perfectly flat, but rather visibly concave. So they might need the extra thickness to compensate for production imperfection.
Steel spacers are probably cut from stock which'd make their dimensions more exact.

dabac wrote:
> [email protected] Wrote:
>> I'll bet the resin spacers are fractionally thicker to allow for them
>> compressing upon installation?

> Given their lateral cross-section area and the torque used in assembly
> that shouldn't be possible. But the resin spacers (I looked at latest)
> looks like they're cast, and the sides that goes against the sprockets
> aren't perfectly flat, but rather visibly concave. So they might need
> the extra thickness to compensate for production imperfection.

Maybe just a worn mould.

Lou

"dabac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] Wrote:
> > I'll bet the resin spacers are fractionally thicker to allow for them
> > compressing upon installation?

> Given their lateral cross-section area and the torque used in assembly
> that shouldn't be possible. But the resin spacers (I looked at latest)
> looks like they're cast, and the sides that goes against the sprockets
> aren't perfectly flat, but rather visibly concave. So they might need
> the extra thickness to compensate for production imperfection.
> Steel spacers are probably cut from stock which'd make their dimensions
> more exact.
>

> --
> dabac

"dabac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] Wrote:
> > I'll bet the resin spacers are fractionally thicker to allow for them
> > compressing upon installation?

> Given their lateral cross-section area and the torque used in assembly
> that shouldn't be possible. But the resin spacers (I looked at latest)
> looks like they're cast, and the sides that goes against the sprockets
> aren't perfectly flat, but rather visibly concave. So they might need
> the extra thickness to compensate for production imperfection.
> Steel spacers are probably cut from stock which'd make their dimensions
> more exact.
>

> --
> dabac

All of the Shimano 7sp spacers that I've measured with a micrometer are
pretty accurate - 3.1mm or 3.15mm. The amount of torque applied to the
screw-on sprockets is probably sufficient to compress the plastic spacers
..05mm (.002"). Why else would Shimano go to the effort of making them
wider?

Chas.

* * Chas said:
"dabac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> [email protected] Wrote:
> > I'll bet the resin spacers are fractionally thicker to allow for them
> > compressing upon installation?

> Given their lateral cross-section area and the torque used in assembly
> that shouldn't be possible. But the resin spacers (I looked at latest)
> looks like they're cast, and the sides that goes against the sprockets
> aren't perfectly flat, but rather visibly concave. So they might need
> the extra thickness to compensate for production imperfection.
> Steel spacers are probably cut from stock which'd make their dimensions
> more exact.
>

> --
> dabac

All of the Shimano 7sp spacers that I've measured with a micrometer are
pretty accurate - 3.1mm or 3.15mm. The amount of torque applied to the
screw-on sprockets is probably sufficient to compress the plastic spacers
..05mm (.002"). Why else would Shimano go to the effort of making them
wider?

Chas.
Well, I'm only suggesting - the ones I have aren't rectangular, the sides that goes against the sprockets are slightly concave. So if you were to aim for a slight overshoot at the edge, then you'd be pretty much dead on target in the middle. And the raised edges would more easily compress down until the whole spacer makes contact with the sprockets.

"dabac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> * * Chas Wrote:
> > "dabac" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > them
> > >
> > > Given their lateral cross-section area and the torque used in

> > assembly
> > > that shouldn't be possible. But the resin spacers (I looked at

> > latest)
> > > looks like they're cast, and the sides that goes against the

> > sprockets
> > > aren't perfectly flat, but rather visibly concave. So they might

> > need
> > > the extra thickness to compensate for production imperfection.
> > > Steel spacers are probably cut from stock which'd make their

> > dimensions
> > > more exact.
> > >

> > > --
> > > dabac
> > >

> > All of the Shimano 7sp spacers that I've measured with a micrometer
> > are
> > pretty accurate - 3.1mm or 3.15mm. The amount of torque applied to the
> > screw-on sprockets is probably sufficient to compress the plastic
> > spacers
> > ..05mm (.002"). Why else would Shimano go to the effort of making them
> > wider?
> >
> > Chas.

> Well, I'm only suggesting - the ones I have aren't rectangular, the
> sides that goes against the sprockets are slightly concave. So if you
> were to aim for a slight overshoot at the edge, then you'd be pretty
> much dead on target in the middle. And the raised edges would more
> easily compress down until the whole spacer makes contact with the
> sprockets.
>

> --
> dabac

I have a collection of Shimano spacers from messing around with cassettes.
Some of the resin ones are flat but most have the recessed area in the
middle that you mentioned. My guess is that the recess allows the spacer
to compress and act like a spring washer to keep the screwed on sprockets
from loosening.

Chas.