7 speed cassette question?

uncle_bobo

Jul 28, 2004
I have a 7 speed shimano HG cassette and would like to get a new wheel set that is compatible. I would like something light and strong no more than $200. Any suggestions?

uncle_bobo said:
I have a 7 speed shimano HG cassette and would like to get a new wheel set that is compatible. I would like something light and strong no more than $200. Any suggestions?
If your frame can handle 130mm rear dropout spacing, consider ultegra 8/9 speed hubs and open pro rims from several sources for about $200. A 7 speed HG casette will work with a 4.5mm spacer on the hub before the casette. Otherwise, you are more than likely looking at a custom build using a 7 speed hub.

uncle_bobo said:

Shimano 600 or 105 HG hubs were made for this purpose.
Is your frame aluminum or carbon fiber and 126 mm Over Locknut Dimension?
If so, you can find wheels built around 600 or 105 7 Speed HG hubs.
Weight and strength work at oposite ends of the comprimise.
How much do you weigh?
What type of riding do you do?
Is your frame steel and ready to be spread to 130 mm OLD?

I can build you wheels that will be under 2,000 grams for the pair and @ $200 or less with quality 105 or 600 hubs, DT Competition 14/15 spokes, and silver Mavic Open Pro rims.... all new rims and spokes/New Old Stock hubs.
dave at ornee dot net