7 Speed Double

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Now that I am well and truly hit by the STI bug I want to fit them to my third and final bike.

    Two of my bikes have been upgraded to Sora 7spd Triple. I'm not really keen to pay 90 quid upwards
    again so I'm wondering are there any older (out of date) STI/Ergo levers that I could use that may
    be cheaper?

    I'm after something to to work with a 7spd double setup (52/42 with 14-32). Mechs are made by Sachs
    but the rear freewheel is shimano. Chainset is ofmega but I assume (?) that the spacing between the
    chainrings is standard?

    Love and crossed fingers from Rich x

    --
    If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit. To mail me,
    change the obvious bit to richard

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:
    > Now that I am well and truly hit by the STI bug I want to fit them to my third and final bike.
    >
    > Two of my bikes have been upgraded to Sora 7spd Triple. I'm not really keen to pay 90 quid upwards
    > again so I'm wondering are there any older (out of date) STI/Ergo levers that I could use that may
    > be cheaper?

    www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm - gear levers - Sora 7sp double @ £65.90

    Might find used ones cheaper if lucky.

    > I'm after something to to work with a 7spd double setup (52/42 with 14-32). Mechs are made by
    > Sachs but the rear freewheel is shimano. Chainset is ofmega but I assume (?) that the spacing
    > between the chainrings is standard?

    I don't know, but older chainsets often had rings closer together than current Shimanos. Might be
    a problem.

    ~PB

  3. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:

    > Now that I am well and truly hit by the STI bug I want to fit them to my third and final bike.
    >
    > Two of my bikes have been upgraded to Sora 7spd Triple. I'm not really keen to pay 90 quid upwards
    > again so I'm wondering are there any older (out of date) STI/Ergo levers that I could use that may
    > be cheaper?
    >
    > I'm after something to to work with a 7spd double setup (52/42 with 14-32). Mechs are made by
    > Sachs but the rear freewheel is shimano. Chainset is ofmega but I assume (?) that the spacing
    > between the chainrings is standard?

    The rear mech: The good news: Sachs and Shimano 7 speed freewheels both have the same spacing - 5mm.
    The uncertain news (you didn't say what model or how old the Sachs derailleur is): if you are going
    to use Shimano STI gear shifters with the Sachs rear derailleur, the actuation ratios must match, or
    things will not work very well. There are a few bodgy tricks involving such antics as fitting the
    cable the wrong side of the fixing screw on the rear derailleur, but if it doesn't start working
    well fairly quickly, the recommendation would be to get a Shimano rear derailleur (from about a
    tenner or so upwards). The optimistic side is that Sachs have made derailleurs which are compatible
    with Shimano. They have made others that don't match.

    If you were to go looking secondhand, it is also worth knowing that certain other combinations
    of levers and derailleurs will result in something which would work. The two most likely to
    work would be:

    Campag 8 sp Ergo with Campag derailleur (5.0mm spaced freewheel i.e. bang on Shimano 7 speed
    spacing, which would also allow you to move to an 8 speed system when the chain and freewheel next
    wear out simultaneously).

    Campag 9 sp Ergo with Shimano derailleur. This results in a small adjustment challenge as the
    overall spacing ends up as 5.05 mm. Longer term, though, it means you get a cool upgrade path to
    Ergo 9 speed should you ever simultaneously wear out the derailleur, chain and freewheel.

    You didn't say if you did the other upgrades yourself. If you did, it might be worth having a go at
    one of these combinations if suitable secondhand parts turn up cheap. If you ask a bike shop to do
    this for you, only the very good ones will take it on and make a good job of it.

    The front mech: If you only have two cogs at the front, its usually possible to get it going with
    anything modern like STI/Ergo. Every now and then you can get a combination which doesn't work, but
    its rare. All you need is enough cable travel and set the inner cog adjustment screw to position the
    mech when in low gear, and the outer one is adjusted by the cable travel adjuster (or just where you
    attach the cable if it doesn't have one of those).

    Oops, I seem to have gone on longer than I expected there!

    HTH

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com