7 speed freewheel -14 -18T mean

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hi,

    What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
    bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.

    Thanks!

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1143929200.437024.48500
    @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > Hi,
    >
    > What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
    > bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Mike

    I view it as a range of sprockets. Almost certainly a typo for 14-28, a
    common range for ATBs in the days of 7 speed.

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hank Wirtz wrote:
    > "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1143929200.437024.48500
    > @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
    > > bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >

    > I view it as a range of sprockets. Almost certainly a typo for 14-28, a
    > common range for ATBs in the days of 7 speed.

    > Boy, I'm so confused. It supposed to be a 21 speed but I couldn't understand why they represented as such, - ie, 7 speed freewheel, etc. Thanks anyhow!

  4. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >> Boy, I'm so confused. It supposed to be a 21 speed but I couldn't
    >> understand why they represented as such, - ie, 7 speed freewheel,
    >> etc. Thanks anyhow!

    Now I'm confused. The bike _would_ be a 21 speed, if it has a triple crank
    and a 7-speed freewheel or cassette.

    When I said "in the days of 7-speed" I meant like 10 years ago.

    Am I misunderstanding you?

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Hank Wirtz wrote:
    >> "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1143929200.437024.48500
    >> @g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> What does that mean? It's one of the the techical descriptions of a
    >>> bike I'm looking at, the Schwinn High Timber.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Mike
    >>>

    >> I view it as a range of sprockets. Almost certainly a typo for 14-28, a
    >> common range for ATBs in the days of 7 speed.

    >> Boy, I'm so confused. It supposed to be a 21 speed but I couldn't understand why they represented as such, - ie, 7 speed freewheel, etc. Thanks anyhow!

    It has 2 shifters, one for the front, one for the back. The back has 7
    "speeds" (gears) the smallest having 14 teeth, the largest 28. The front
    has 3 "speeds", the combinations give 3 x 7 or 21 "speeds". There is
    overlap, so not all "speeds" are unique. It sounds complicated, but it
    isn't. Typically, you keep the front in the middle and shift between the
    7 back "speeds" to match how fast you want to go. If you're riding fast
    on flat ground, use the highest front gear, if going uphill slowly, use
    the lowest. Easy.