7 Speed front derailleur compatibility with 9 speed chain and cassette?

I'm inclined to say that if your frame is made of steel and you can spread your chainstays to 130 mm and square the dropouts, you can make it work with the full kit I outlined in the first paragraph
14.gif

the next year, Lennard Zinn reported successfully testing a pair of 10-speed Campagnolo shifters on an otherwise SRAM equipped bike.
14.gif

There are many reasons to not like a group, from ergonomic reasons to functional reasons, many of which are a matter of personal preference. Just because I prefer the ergonomics and function of the Campy groups I've used over the Shimano and SRAM stuff I've tried doesn't mean that Campy is functionally better in any objective way. It solely means that I preferred it. So what? Again, anecdotal stuff--whether it's my personal preference, Leonard Zinn's observations, or your, Alfeng, baseless claims and penchant for Rube Goldberg solutions and bicycles--does not make for objective data. There is no objective data showing any group is objectively better than the rest, and no matter how many different font colors you use or how many levels of indentation you employ, you've got nothing that shows any one group is objectively superior to the rest, Rube.

Originally Posted by benwarren .

I have bought everything as shimano so far, all thats left for me to buy is the shifters, and I plan to purchase the sora 3500 9spd triple shifters, I'd much rather have something designed for use with my other parts if it means spending an extra £20 (on the website i found)
Uh-oh, you're going to die.

Just kidding.

One nice thing about using components that are designed to work together is that when they don't, authoritative answers and professional help are available from many sources. One nice thing about Sora 3500 is that it has the ergonomics of the last generation of 9-speed Tiagra but with more solid construction, in my anecdotal experience. Smart choice.

Originally Posted by alienator .

There are many reasons to not like a group, from ergonomic reasons to functional reasons, many of which are a matter of personal preference. Just because I prefer the ergonomics and function of the Campy groups I've used over the Shimano and SRAM stuff I've tried doesn't mean that Campy is functionally better in any objective way. It solely means that I preferred it. So what? Again, anecdotal stuff--whether it's my personal preference, Leonard Zinn's observations, or your, Alfeng, baseless claims and penchant for Rube Goldberg solutions and bicycles--does not make for objective data. There is no objective data showing any group is objectively better than the rest, and no matter how many different font colors you use or how many levels of indentation you employ, you've got nothing that shows any one group is objectively superior to the rest, Rube.
Well, Troll ...
There you go again ... I see you are inclined toward tossing out more chaff while hoping no one notices there is nothing substantive contained therein!! "Lest people buy into uneducated comments like those from ..." your dull minded comments which are clearly being made by someone who apparently does not do his own wrenching (nothing wrong with that, but ...) YOU are apparently only capable of parroting what you have read from sometimes dubious sources and you are apparently incapable and/or simply unqualified to make independent comments on what is in front of you ...
If you were objective and/or rational then you would be able to see that your admission that you are incapable of discerning a difference between the efficiency of the shifting capabilities of the mechanical Road shifters from three major component manufacturers disqualifies you from commenting on them OR of judging the observations made by others who can discern the difference.
  • in other words, you cannot make the uninformed statement that the components from the three major manufacturers of cycling Groups are the same or equally good as you have done because YOU have no basis for doing so AND therefore by your admission less basis than 'I' or other riders have
  • do YOU actually need a power meter to measure that it takes more effort to ride up a hill than to ride along a flat surface OR can you discern that by the effort expended?
  • OR, are you going to say that you don't perceive any difference?!?

• at what point is there a "critical mass" of similar, anecdotal observations from different parts of the Globe acceptable in lieu of a chart to validate it?

• not everything needs a chart ... how many light bulbs do you have to drop on the floor before you realize that it will probably break the next time, too?
  • how many times do you have to touch a hot stove before you realize that it will probably burn you?
  • how many times do you have to try to thread an SAE screw into a Metric threaded bolt to know it won't work?
  • not everything needs to be quantified & plotted on a chart to know that something shouldn't be done or that something doesn't work well!

BTW. Are you an anti-Semite? After all, there is nothing politically correct in applying the "Rube Goldberg" label to something in the disparaging manner in which you did. Well, no need to deny it. You must be anti-Semitic because even if there was anything "Rube Goldberg" about the suggestions I have made, you have clearly chosen to use the term in a disparaging way ...
Tsk, tsk ...
  • well, I suppose that it is understandable that some Lebanese people are anti-Semitic
Regardless, you clearly are overwhelmed by what you are looking at because there is nothing complicated about replacing one part on a bike with another, single part which has been demonstrated to be compatible -- installing Campagnolo shifters on a Shimano equipped bike is a direct, one-for-one component exchange which is little different from the replacement of your V2 Campagnolo shifters with a pair of V3 Campagnolo shifters. Of course, there are those amongst us who feel a need to maintain something akin to a Leisure-Suit-Larry appearance on their bike ... the power of marketing. Of course, I guess it's "okay" for you to put wheels with non-Campagnolo hubs & non-Campagnolo rims on YOUR bike because you are you ... and, you don't have to follow the apparent rules of compatibility which you apparently deem to be appropriate on someone else's bike for your bike ... And, it's certainly pretty daring of you to have changed the handlebars on your bike from the way it was configured when you rolled it out of the bike shop ... Again, wasn't it daring of you to have those V3 shifters put on your bike whose other components are not the same vintage?
  • VERY daring, indeed, BECAUSE I doubt that the PTB would be happy about someone mixing parts on his bike ... or, is that particular "mashup" acceptable to you because the Wrench at an LBS did the work for you?
If you did your own wrenching then you wouldn't be intimidated by the idea-and-execution of exchanging components as a DIY project and so you would realize that whatever 'I' suggest for others to do can be very readily done. If you had a better understanding of bicycle frame geometry, then you would know that what you apparently call a "mashup" isn't except in your feeble little mind ... Oh yeah, pretty daring of me to put a different fork on a bike where the resultant head tube angle is 73º!!!
  • Oh, wait!
  • 73º is pretty much the standard head tube angle on a contemporary Road bike.
That is not to say that I don't have to perform road test to confirm what looks-good-on-paper actually will work as expected ... But, it does. Oh, you know, that's the beauty of actually being able to work with numbers vs. cutting & pasting charts & pictures the way you frequently do. It's what some people refer to as engineering ... Consequently, while verification is made, I can generally anticipate certain things based on numerical values which are comparable with past observations & experiences AND SO verify-or-refute assumptions. Well, it's really too bad you don't live in Boulder because then you & a particular bike shop owner could marvel at how difficult it is for the two of you to adjust a front derailleur or to install a V3 Campagnolo shifter on a bike after the task is finally completed AND you both could talk about how "shade tree" wrenches just don't know what the two of you think you know ....
  • of course, if you knew what you pretend to know then you would know that the "Rube" is the fore mentioned guy who has trouble adjusting front derailleurs AND who thinks that installing a V3 Campagnolo shifter on a bike is more difficult than installing a V2 Campagnolo shifter
  • or, were you signing off with a new screen name?!?

Unless you lost the use of both of your hands in your accident then MY advice to you is to take the time, no matter how long it takes you, to do your own wrenching during the coming Winter months (and subsequently, when-or-as needed) and then you will have a better understanding of the information in my posts.
BTW. One, contiguous block of text may have been "okay" at times for William Faulkner, but for someone like you it appears to be more of a demonstration of limited grammatical skills.

Aren't pretty much all newer bikes "Mash-ups"? If it works, it works! Who cares what the label says?

Yup...shimaNO whatever tossed onto a no-name frame with some FSA crankset, Tektro brakes, Alex wheels, mixed cockpit stuff from Oval/FSA/Ritchey/whoever. No biggee.

Mixing driveline components starting with chain and FD and long ago morphed into shimanolo. Personally, I don't much care for shimaNO stuff, but it works just fine. And if it works with Campy or SRAM or Microshift or Token...mix it up and race it into the ground.

Frankenbikes are as cool as Frankenguns.

J-Boogie said:
Aren't pretty much all newer bikes "Mash-ups"? If it works, it works! Who cares what the label says?
To some degree, yes, but generally not to the point that they are Rube Goldberg machines.

Originally Posted by alienator .

To some degree, yes, but generally not to the point that they are Rube Goldberg machines.
Tsk, tsk ... So, you are doubling-down on using that anti-Semitic, "Rube Goldberg" description for bikes which you do not approve of ... That would be unbelievable Chutzpah if it weren't for the fact that you are apparently proud to be an anti-Semite!

alien is a bigot!

My 1973 Peugeot had a Spanish Triplex Sport (Campy clone) rear derailleur! The horror! The French would have invaded surrendered had they known! .