7 speed hub with 9 speed shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Is Here, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Dave Is Here

    Dave Is Here Guest

    Has anyone sucessfully set up Ultegra STI 9 speed shifters to shift across a 7 speed
    Shimano cassette?

    I have run the shift wire across the top of the rear deraileur screw instead of the normal routing
    on the bottom and it seems to work pretty well.

    Comments please. DaveBalfour

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Others might comment, but I think that this is the combination where a Campy 9 shifter with a
    Shimano rear derailleur will work.

    I'd also consider using 8 cogs from a 9sp cassette on the 7sp hub.

    On 17 Jun 2003 05:37:56 -0700, [email protected] (dave is here) wrote:

    >Has anyone sucessfully set up Ultegra STI 9 speed shifters to shift across a 7 speed Shimano
    >cassette?
    >
    >I have run the shift wire across the top of the rear deraileur screw instead of the normal routing
    >on the bottom and it seems to work pretty well.
    >
    >Comments please. DaveBalfour

  3. Dave-<< Has anyone sucessfully set up Ultegra STI 9 speed shifters to shift across a 7 speed Shimano
    cassette? >><BR><BR>

    Sure. just put on 8 of the 9 cogs of a shimano 9s casette and spcers, if on a '7s' freehub...it will
    shuft fine. Or if ya have a 7s casette, use shimano 9s spacers...

  4. G. Huang

    G. Huang Guest

    dave is here wrote:
    > Has anyone sucessfully set up Ultegra STI 9 speed shifters to shift across a 7 speed Shimano
    > cassette?
    >
    > I have run the shift wire across the top of the rear deraileur screw instead of the normal routing
    > on the bottom and it seems to work pretty well.

    It should work. And it works even better if you use an older, 7/8 speed Dura-Ace derailleur with
    normal routing. I have done both. GH

  5. Jack Fortune

    Jack Fortune Guest

    On 17 Jun 2003 14:05:05 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:
    > Dave-<< Has anyone sucessfully set up Ultegra STI 9 speed shifters to shift across a 7 speed
    > Shimano cassette? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Sure. just put on 8 of the 9 cogs of a shimano 9s casette and spcers, if on a '7s' freehub...it
    > will shuft fine.

    You would also want to use a 9-speed chain for this to work best...

    regards,

    Jack Fortune