7 Speed on Shimano 6 Speed Uniglide Hub

* * Chas

Guest
Before I get blasted, I've done several hours of web searches and found
a lot of good information like that on Sheldon Brown's web site but
haven't found complete answers to my questions.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

I picked up a NOS Shimano Deore FH-M730 130mm OLD 6 speed Uniglide hub.
I want to use it as a 7 speed setup on a retro road bike .

From what I found, 6 speed cassettes are supposed to be 30mm wide and
7mm are 31.5mm wide.

Will a Uniglide 7 speed cassette work on this hub without modification?
If not what would I have to change?

I've found some 7 speed UG cassettes online and I'd like to make sure
that they will fit before I purchase one. I have several MTBs with 7
speed HG cassettes but no UG cassettes to compare with.

I'll go to an HG freehub and cassette if I have to. I want to keep the
130mm OLD so I probably want to stay with a 7 speed HG freehub. Which
ones will fit this hub properly without changing dust caps or seals?

Thanks,

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> Before I get blasted, I've done several hours of web searches and found
> a lot of good information like that on Sheldon Brown's web site but
> haven't found complete answers to my questions.
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
>
> I picked up a NOS Shimano Deore FH-M730 130mm OLD 6 speed Uniglide hub.
> I want to use it as a 7 speed setup on a retro road bike .

That's a nice hub, beautifully finished. I found a NOS 6SP 126mm OLD,
which I converted to 8SP 130mm OLD, using the stock axle.

> From what I found, 6 speed cassettes are supposed to be 30mm wide and
> 7mm are 31.5mm wide.
>
> Will a Uniglide 7 speed cassette work on this hub without modification?
> If not what would I have to change?

You're going to have to change the freehub body.

> I've found some 7 speed UG cassettes online and I'd like to make sure
> that they will fit before I purchase one. I have several MTBs with 7
> speed HG cassettes but no UG cassettes to compare with.

Aside from the tooth profiles, the difference is in the threaded small
cog v. the lockring.

> I'll go to an HG freehub and cassette if I have to. I want to keep the
> 130mm OLD so I probably want to stay with a 7 speed HG freehub. Which
> ones will fit this hub properly without changing dust caps or seals?

No Hyperglide freehub/ cassette combo will allow you to use the stock
seal on the freehub side. The stock seal blocks the internal HG
threading; it was designed in the pre-HG era to work with thread on
small cogs, not lockrings.

* * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
> I picked up a NOS Shimano Deore FH-M730 130mm OLD 6 speed Uniglide
> hub.

Nice, old XT.

> I want to use it as a 7 speed setup on a retro road bike .

I'm doing that using 7 Uniglide sprockets and 8x (3mm) spacers
between them, it's a tight fit but works fine (with both 7x and 8x
shifters).

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

Helmut Springer wrote:
> * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I picked up a NOS Shimano Deore FH-M730 130mm OLD 6 speed Uniglide
> > hub.

> Nice, old XT.
>

> > I want to use it as a 7 speed setup on a retro road bike .

> I'm doing that using 7 Uniglide sprockets and 8x (3mm) spacers
> between them, it's a tight fit but works fine (with both 7x and 8x
> shifters).
>
> --

An excellent thought, Helmut! Never occured to me. Duh!

"Helmut Springer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I picked up a NOS Shimano Deore FH-M730 130mm OLD 6 speed Uniglide
> > hub.

> Nice, old XT.
>

> > I want to use it as a 7 speed setup on a retro road bike .

> I'm doing that using 7 Uniglide sprockets and 8x (3mm) spacers
> between them, it's a tight fit but works fine (with both 7x and 8x
> shifters).
>
> --
> MfG/Best regards
> helmut springer

I lucked out - of sorts. Both of my Deore XT MTB wheels have FH-M732
hubs that can use either UG or HG cassettes. I'll probably rob one of
these and replace it with an HG Freehub.

They've been working so well that I never had a reason to check them
out.

Chas.

When I first switched from six to seven (both UniGlide) I simply put the
seven new cogs on the old "six" hub. They fit fine.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site: