7 speed Sachs

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by X, Dec 22, 2005.

  1. X

    X Guest

    I'm thinking of buying a speed sachs hub for my bike. does anyone happen to
    know the dropout width required for one of these?
    thanks
    Geoff

    --
    www.bswa.org

    Tags:

  2. I used to have one, but unfortunately can't recall the spacing, though
    I do know the Shimano 7-speed is 130.

    Of course, if your frame is steel then any bike shop can widen or
    narrow its spacing. I've done this to two of my upright bikes, one to
    run the 7-speed, and one to run a 3-speed.

    Mark

  3. X wrote:
    > I'm thinking of buying a speed sachs hub for my bike. does anyone happen to
    > know the dropout width required for one of these?

    The Sachs 7-speed hub has been replaced by the SRAM Spectro S7.

    Sheldon Brown lists this as a 132-mm hub for the brakeless and drum
    brake versions, and 130-mm for the coaster brake version:
    <http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sram.html>.

    Mr. Brown also offers a gearing calculator for both the older Sachs and
    the newer SRAM internally geared hubs:
    <http://sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html#sachs7> and/or
    <http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/internal.html>.

    --