7 speed shifter with 8 speed cassette?

Ronnygill

Aug 22, 2010
Can I use a Shimano 7 speed SIS shifter with Shimano 8 speed cassette?

Just bought a new bike (revolution courier race) which has an eight speed shimamo cassette. But I really really love my old shimamo deore xt sis shifter. It's probably about twenty years old but it's the best!

Can anyone tell me if it will work only new bike? I know it will be compatible as it's all shimamo. BUT will it allow me to use all eight gears?

Thanks for any help!

Ronnygill said:
Can I use a Shimano 7 speed SIS shifter with Shimano 8 speed cassette?

Just bought a new bike (revolution courier race) which has an eight speed shimamo cassette. But I really really love my old shimamo deore xt sis shifter. It's probably about twenty years old but it's the best!

Can anyone tell me if it will work only new bike? I know it will be compatible as it's all shimamo. BUT will it allow me to use all eight gears?

Thanks for any help!

Not likely very well because of spacing differences, but "well" may have different levels of definition depending on user ...

http://www.cyclingforums.com/cyclin...t-compatible-my-7-speed-xt-thumbshifters.html

May require some deft use of enroute barrel adjustment, etc. Maybe best left on a well restored retro. Good luck!

Thanks for this answer but what I should have mentioned is that I use(d) my old sis thumbshifters on friction mode (ie with no click
for each gear change), so i just 'feel' my way through the gears. So I am guessing that this would eliminate the spacing problem, which means the question would be does my old thumbshifter have the range of tensions to pull the deralieur from biggest to smallest cog.... Unless I have completely got the wrong end of the stick!

I could just set it up and try but will be a big wasted effort if it doesn't work!

Hey I have just seen the post you linked so it seems like it's possible.... Am I right in thinking the the people talking about spacing were referring to idexed shifting (which as I mentioned I will be avoiding)?

Sounds like shimamo anticipated more gearing and left space in the shifter to give a wider range?

Thanks again

In friction just about anything will shift anything. At least I have yet to come up against something that doesn't.

With friction shifting you should have no issues. technically you can put a 7 speed cassette on as well with an appropriate spacer. But in the short term using the 8 shouldn't be a problem.