7 speed Shimano freehub assembly on a 8+ speed hub?

ryanspeer

Jul 19, 2006
If I take a Shimano 600 freehub assembly, can I fit it on a 8,9, or 10-speed Shimano hub? I imagine there's a difference in the actual axle width, but I don't know if it'll cause any issues with sealed bearings, etc or if they'll even fit on there at all.

The long story/explanation is that I purchased a used bike with Spinergy Rev-X wheels, with a Shimano 600 (7-speed) drivetrain. I can't afford to upgrade the entire drivetrain right now, but might want to re-sell the wheels in favor or something a bit more traditional. I don't know if I can just take the free hub and cassette and transpose them on the new wheelset until I can afford to actually utilize a 9 or 10-speed freehub, cassette, STI shifters and appropriate R.D.

Any hints?

For now, I'll be riding a brand new Leader frame. As it's a 2005/2006 model, I assume it's built with a 9 or 10-speed cassette in mind and has the dropouts spread accordingly. I'm not sure if I could just put the 7-speed cassette on a new wheel along with 10-speed freehub and just use spacers if necessary (i.e., do the grooves of the cassette even align properly with those on the freehub assembly?) or if the freehub assembly itself would have to be entirely replaced. That being said, would the freehub even jive with a new axle from the 10-speed hub?

I'll look at that link - thanks.

** late edit **

I just read some info on that link and it states that a 7-speed cassette can certainly be used on an 8, 9 or 10-speed free hub as long as 4.5mm spacer is used, which I assume I could probably pick up easily enough from a competent local bike shop.

That's good news for sure!

ryanspeer said:
For now, I'll be riding a brand new Leader frame. As it's a 2005/2006 model, I assume it's built with a 9 or 10-speed cassette in mind and has the dropouts spread accordingly. I'm not sure if I could just put the 7-speed cassette on a new wheel along with 10-speed freehub and just use spacers if necessary (i.e., do the grooves of the cassette even align properly with those on the freehub assembly?) or if the freehub assembly itself would have to be entirely replaced. That being said, would the freehub even jive with a new axle from the 10-speed hub?

I'll look at that link - thanks.

** late edit **

I just read some info on that link and it states that a 7-speed cassette can certainly be used on an 8, 9 or 10-speed free hub as long as 4.5mm spacer is used, which I assume I could probably pick up easily enough from a competent local bike shop.

That's good news for sure!

You read correctly, but I suggest an alternative way (albeit more slightly more expensive) to partially modernize without going for the full upgrade all at once.

This might sound like a weird solution, but I guarantee that it will work.

Get any 2001 or newer model Campagnolo rear derailleur and use it with your shimano 600 7s indexed shifters and a shimano (or SRAM) 9s rear cassette (of course on a hub compatible with shimano 9s) and a 9s chain. Adjust the rear derailleur stops to allow the RD to swing the whole range of the cassette. Your shifters will index perfectly for the first 7 cogs, and will friction shift the chain to the two largest rear cogs.

How does this work? The combination of the cable pull of the shimano 7s shifter with the actuation ratio of a newer model Campy RD equals the rear cog spacing of current shimano 9s. The 7s FD and chainrings will work acceptably (not perfectly, but acceptably) with the 9s chain.

I have done this to successfully get 9s on an older bike with a 7s shimano drivetrain without spending for a whole new drivetrain all at once.

I have two 600 series Shimano Hubs.

The road one (130mm) takes a 8 or 9 speed cassettes no problems. When the cassette is removed, a second thread can be seen on the outside of the freehub body for a lockring, I assume it is for a 7 speed.

The hub: FH-6402, Shimano may fax you the data sheet as it is not on line. It has cup/cone bearings not sealed. The cones, balls and freehub body are still available.

I have mixed 7 and 8 ok on the same bike, the cog spacing on the cassette is the same. So a 7 speed shifter will shift the high or low 7 of an 8 speed cassette. Or, an 8 speed shifter can be used as a 7 speed shifter with a 7 speed cassette. The RD should work for 7,8 or 9 speed cassettes. With 9 and 10 speed cassettes, they need their speed spicific shifters, 9=9 & 10=10.