7 speed to 9 speed, or is circa 1992 Deore LX 130 or 135 mm?

whitfit

Guest
Before being berated, I will not have access to the bike before
getting parts, and I do know how to use a ruler.

In Sheldon Brown's chart of dropout spacing, 7 speed Shimano is listed
as either 130 or 135. I need to put some new parts on an old frame
for a mechanically challenged friend. It is an aluminum bike and
can't be reset.

Does anyone recall if ~1992 Deore LX was 130 or 135 spacing?

Thanks...

Toby Whitfield.

Whitfit wrote:
> Before being berated, I will not have access to the bike before getting
> parts, and I do know how to use a ruler.
> In Sheldon Brown's chart of dropout spacing, 7 speed Shimano is
> listed as either 130 or 135. I need to put some new parts on an old
> frame for a mechanically challenged friend. It is an aluminum bike
> and can't be reset.
> Does anyone recall if ~1992 Deore LX was 130 or 135 spacing?
> Thanks...
> Toby Whitfield.

LX had both 130 and 135 in 1992. What bicycle is it? If it is
Bridgestone, it will surely be 130; but if not, //.. 135 mm. I am not
berating.... just curious why you can't use a ruler, calipers, sample
hub/wheel to know bofor moving ahead.

--

[email protected] (whitfit) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Before being berated, I will not have access to the bike before
> getting parts, and I do know how to use a ruler.
>
> In Sheldon Brown's chart of dropout spacing, 7 speed Shimano is listed
> as either 130 or 135. I need to put some new parts on an old frame
> for a mechanically challenged friend. It is an aluminum bike and
> can't be reset.
>
> Does anyone recall if ~1992 Deore LX was 130 or 135 spacing?

I stocked Shimano parts in a warehouse for a couple years (1988-1990).
Deore and Deore XT hubs were available in both widths in that time.

I would be willing to bet that you are dealing with a 135mm width hub.
If not, it's quite easy to rebuild a hub with a shorter axle. On the
other hand, Sheldon says you can put a 5mm spacer on the shorter axle
and still have enough overhang to support the wheel.

Jeff

Not an exact answer to your question, but maybe helpful. I have a
1991 Trek 520 with Deore DX. 7 speed cassette rear hub. Normal
threaded axle with the cones and washers and locknuts. My frame
measures 5.25" between the dropouts using a ruler. About 133.35 mm.
I'm guessing the frame is officially 135 mm. And the hub matches the
frame at 135 mm.

The axle is long enough to add a couple more washers and increase the
spacing several millimeters. The rear dropouts are also thick enough
on my new frame to allow me to take out several millimeters of washers
to decrease the spacing on the rear hub. My new touring frame is
aluminum with 130 mm spacing. My old 135 mm wheels fit without any
problems even before taking out a few washers.

I think you are worrying too much about resetting your aluminum frame.
130 mm or 135 mm wheels will fit just fine whether the frame is
spaced for 130 mm or 135 mm. For personal comfort you can add or
remove washers to change the spacing, but it won't matter.