7 speed to 9 speed, or is circa 1992 Deore LX 130 or 135 mm?

Whitfit

Guest
Before being berated, I will not have access to the bike
before getting parts, and I do know how to use a ruler.

In Sheldon Brown's chart of dropout spacing, 7 speed Shimano
is listed as either 130 or 135. I need to put some new parts
on an old frame for a mechanically challenged friend. It is
an aluminum bike and can't be reset.

Does anyone recall if ~1992 Deore LX was 130 or 135 spacing?

Thanks...

Toby Whitfield.

Originally posted by Whitfit
Before being berated, I will not have access to the bike
before getting parts, and I do know how to use a ruler.

In Sheldon Brown's chart of dropout spacing, 7 speed Shimano
is listed as either 130 or 135. I need to put some new parts
on an old frame for a mechanically challenged friend. It is
an aluminum bike and can't be reset.

Does anyone recall if ~1992 Deore LX was 130 or 135 spacing?

Thanks...

Toby Whitfield.

LX had both 130 and 135 in 1992.
What bicycle is it?
If it is Bridgestone, it will surely be 130; but if not, //.. 135 mm.
I am not berating.... just curious why you can't use a ruler, calipers, sample hub/wheel to know bofor moving ahead.

[email protected] (whitfit) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Before being berated, I will not have access to the bike
> before getting parts, and I do know how to use a ruler.
>
> In Sheldon Brown's chart of dropout spacing, 7 speed
> Shimano is listed as either 130 or 135. I need to put some
> new parts on an old frame for a mechanically challenged
> friend. It is an aluminum bike and can't be reset.
>
> Does anyone recall if ~1992 Deore LX was 130 or 135
> spacing?

I stocked Shimano parts in a warehouse for a couple years
(1988-1990). Deore and Deore XT hubs were available in both
widths in that time.

I would be willing to bet that you are dealing with a 135mm
width hub. If not, it's quite easy to rebuild a hub with a
shorter axle. On the other hand, Sheldon says you can put a
5mm spacer on the shorter axle and still have enough
overhang to support the wheel.

Jeff

Not an exact answer to your question, but maybe helpful. I
have a 1991 Trek 520 with Deore DX. 7 speed cassette rear
hub. Normal threaded axle with the cones and washers and
locknuts. My frame measures 5.25" between the dropouts using
a ruler. About 133.35 mm. I'm guessing the frame is
officially 135 mm. And the hub matches the frame at 135 mm.

The axle is long enough to add a couple more washers and
increase the spacing several millimeters. The rear dropouts
are also thick enough on my new frame to allow me to take
out several millimeters of washers to decrease the spacing
on the rear hub. My new touring frame is aluminum with 130
mm spacing. My old 135 mm wheels fit without any problems
even before taking out a few washers.

I think you are worrying too much about resetting your
aluminum frame. 130 mm or 135 mm wheels will fit just fine
whether the frame is spaced for 130 mm or 135 mm. For
personal comfort you can add or remove washers to change the
spacing, but it won't matter.