7 speed wheels

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I have a friend that started biking a year ago and he's riding an old raleigh bike from 20+ years ago. He has no intentions on getting a new bike, but the wheels on this thing are shot. He's not too worried, but those spokes are 1 tough hill away from snapping.

Do any of you know where I can find a cheap 7 speed compatible wheel set? I seem to be having a problem sourcing wheels that are 7 speed compatible.

Rebuild with new spokes and rim on the original hub. I've done it, works great.

Prowheelbuilder dot com has plenty of inventory. You might be able to contact them and they might help you find the correct length spokes and a new rim. Decent prices on rims.

Holy ****! Beanz is back! Welcome home, Mr. B.!

I've hit your blog site a couple times just to see what you were up to. I miss your vids and all the bikini shots!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Rebuild with new spokes and rim on the original hub. I've done it, works great.

Prowheelbuilder dot com has plenty of inventory. You might be able to contact them and they might help you find the correct length spokes and a new rim. Decent prices on rims.

Long time no see! Cheap and fast are what I'm looking for, I don't currently have the ability, time, or tools for a wheel build. Even though he seems fine with riding it as is, I cant in good conscience not recommend he gets a safe set of wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeromax-Allo...7-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

Never heard of this brand, but the price seems right and they don't look half bad either. Thanks for the recommendation.

Holy ****! Beanz is back! Welcome home, Mr. B.!

I've hit your blog site a couple times just to see what you were up to. I miss your vids and all the bikini shots!

Well Yeah!!! It's almost Summer so I have to get back on so I can post some bikini pics! :D

Thanks for peeking in at the blog! :cool:

Even though he seems fine with riding it as is, I cant in good conscience not recommend he gets a safe set of wheels.

That's a good buddy! At times my buddies want to do dangerous things like ride bad equipment. I can't let them, I don't like the sight of blood. :p

Make sure you read the fine print. You'll need an about 4 mm spacer to fit a 7-speed cassette on those wheels.
Also check that it really is a cassette and not a freewheel hub.
Cheap wheels, check bearing adjustment and lube before you start riding.
If the guy isn't that interested in his equipment, why get some 24-spoke?
Sure, depending on rider and build quality 24-spoke can certainly last just fine.
But the odds of getting plenty of trouble-free years and miles out of some wheels are better if you go with a higher spoke count.(assuming the same build/parts quality)

Make sure you read the fine print. You'll need an about 4 mm spacer to fit a 7-speed cassette on those wheels.
Also check that it really is a cassette and not a freewheel hub.
Cheap wheels, check bearing adjustment and lube before you start riding.
If the guy isn't that interested in his equipment, why get some 24-spoke?
Sure, depending on rider and build quality 24-spoke can certainly last just fine.
But the odds of getting plenty of trouble-free years and miles out of some wheels are better if you go with a higher spoke count.(assuming the same build/parts quality)

Spoke count shouldn't be a problem, If I had to guess his weight, probably under 130 pounds. Even on ancient, fragile spokes, he's been fine so far. I'm basically trying to find the cheapest, least time consuming, upgrade for his bike wheels.

7-speed and 8-speed Cog spacing is essentially the same ...

So, a wheel with an 8-speed Cassette can be used with 7-speed shifters WITH THE LIMITATION that the shifters will only shift across 7-of-the-8 cogs ...

And so, the user will have to forego either the largest (recommended) or smallest cog ... so, the Cassette chose should be whatever range s/he actually wants to use + the "extra" Cog.
If the 7-speed shifters ever need to be replaced then the bike will be ready for an update/upgrade to 8-speed shifters.​

I have a friend that started biking a year ago and he's riding an old raleigh bike from 20+ years ago. He has no intentions on getting a new bike, but the wheels on this thing are shot. He's not too worried, but those spokes are 1 tough hill away from snapping.

Do any of you know where I can find a cheap 7 speed compatible wheel set? I seem to be having a problem sourcing wheels that are 7 speed compatible.
BTW ...

Exactly why do you think the particular wheels on your friend's Raleigh will be prone to an impending, potential failure?

BTW ...

Exactly why do you think the particular wheels on your friend's Raleigh will be prone to an impending, potential failure?

Wear and tear and rust. Also, some of these local roads can be rough on equipment. I think if he weren't so light weight, he would have needed to replace them already.

Wear and tear and rust. Also, some of these local roads can be rough on equipment. I think if he weren't so light weight, he would have needed to replace them already.
FWIW ...

Without seeing the wheels, I am nonetheless going to suggest that what YOU perceive as "rust" is probably just oxidized grease + some previously accumulated road grime which can be cleaned off because most "modern" wheels included on bikes in the past 30 years have been built with stainless steel spokes ... and so, there isn't too much on a non-disc wheel that can actually rust ...

The bearings/cups/cones ARE steel, of course ... but, hopefully the grease wasn't blown out with a power washer!?!
As far as "wear and tear" ... I think that a remarkable amount of riding would have to have been done with the wheelset ... the tires (and spoke pattern) are designed to accommodate road shock ... so, short of bottoming the rim out in pot hole which clearly results in a deformation, the rims are probably "okay" ... but, maybe not.​