7 speed wheels

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by AbileneAboli, Aug 20, 2021.

1. AbileneAboli

AbileneAboli New Member

I have a friend that started biking a year ago and he's riding an old raleigh bike from 20+ years ago. He has no intentions on getting a new bike, but the wheels on this thing are shot. He's not too worried, but those spokes are 1 tough hill away from snapping.

Tags:

2. Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Well-Known Member

My wife has a pretty sweet 1984 lugged steel Bianchi in celeste green. Picked it up from a dude who was selling it cheap. Thrashed, dirty but still very rideable.

The wheels were just about toast so I used the 7 speed hubs, bought new spokes, and rims then rebuilt them using the hub. No major modifications.

Bianchi1.jpg

3. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

7 speed road bike freehub wheels are easily available. Make sure the spacing is correct and you use spacers on the freehub. I can't remember if there is only the one rather narrow spacer or not. I think that the 7 speed cogs are pretty wide. 9 speed wheels simply use the same gears as the 10 speed but wider spacers between gears. You HAVE to use the correct speed chain to keep it from falling between cogs and spacers.