7 speed XT shifters?

Dante Catoni

Guest
I want to upgrade my bike ('94 rigid cromo Parkpre) starting with the shifters. It has some awful
Grip shifts now and Acera components. I'd like to get some rapid fire XTs but I only see them listed
for 9 speeds. Can I use those with a 7 speed and just adjust the limit screws to keep it on the
gears? Do I need an XT derailleur?

Thanks Dante

"Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to upgrade my bike ('94 rigid cromo Parkpre) starting with the shifters. It has some awful
> Grip shifts now and Acera components. I'd like to get some rapid fire XTs but I only see them
> listed for 9 speeds. Can I use those with a 7 speed and just adjust the limit screws to keep it on
the
> gears? Do I need an XT derailleur?

You'll need to find some rapid fire 8 speed shifters (which will work with a 7 speed cassette). If
you update the rear derailleur you can use an 8 or 9 speed.

Gary in VA

Dante Catoni <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> I want to upgrade my bike ('94 rigid cromo Parkpre) starting with the shifters. It has some awful
> Grip shifts now and Acera components. I'd like to get some rapid fire XTs but I only see them
> listed for 9 speeds. Can I use those with a 7 speed and just adjust the limit screws to keep it on
> the gears? Do I need an XT derailleur?
>
> Thanks Dante

A 9 speed shifter will not really work with a 7 speed, the spacing is different. Your LBS should be
able to order up some.

You don't need an XT derailleur to match the XT shifter. i am running an Alivio 8 speed derailleur
with a 7 speed shifter (the derailleurs can pretty much mix and match well, but the shifter is where
the shift spacing comes from).
--
~Travis

"Dante Catoni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I want to upgrade my bike ('94 rigid cromo Parkpre) starting with the shifters. It has some awful
| Grip shifts now and Acera components. I'd like to get some rapid fire XTs but I only see them
| listed for 9 speeds. Can I use those with a 7 speed and just adjust the limit screws to keep it on
the
| gears? Do I need an XT derailleur?

Option 1 - get with your LBS and see if they can order you Shimano Alivio/STX 7s rapidfire plus
pods. Last I knew suppliers like QBP and Hawley had them in stock. This is your first, best option
as you won't need to "make something work."

Option 2 - check on eBay. I've gotten two sets of 7s XT thumbshifters and I see 7s rapidfires all
the time (no, I'm not going to part with them!) The thumbies can get pretty pricey. The original
Rapidfire Plus XTs were 7s, but they were built into the brake lever (which is fine if you're still
running cantis!) It took some "make it work" to mount my old 7s pods on independent brackets (they
weren't made to fit!)

Option 3 - get on the horn with International Bicycle in Charlotte, NC. They still have some Deore
DX thumbshifters (new in the box) for about $50. Primo stuff. The only difference between XT and DX
thumbies is the XT had a forged alloy clamp and the DX a steel band.

Option 4 - get some 8s shimano pods (again, Alivio/STX) and adjust your derailleur so you don't
overshift. This is a "make it work" option, as the spacing for 8s and 7s were very slightly
different, but close enough to work in a pinch.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 5/29/2003

>Option 1 - get with your LBS and see if they can order you Shimano Alivio/STX 7s rapidfire plus
>pods. Last I knew suppliers like QBP and Hawley had them in stock. This is your first, best option
>as you won't need to "make something work."
>
>Option 2 - check on eBay. I've gotten two sets of 7s XT thumbshifters and I see 7s rapidfires all
>the time (no, I'm not going to part with them!) The thumbies can get pretty pricey. The original
>Rapidfire Plus XTs were 7s, but they were built into the brake lever (which is fine if you're still
>running cantis!) It took some "make it work" to mount my old 7s pods on independent brackets (they
>weren't made to fit!)
>
>Option 3 - get on the horn with International Bicycle in Charlotte, NC. They still have some Deore
>DX thumbshifters (new in the box) for about $50. Primo stuff. The only difference between XT and DX
>thumbies is the XT had a forged alloy clamp and the DX a steel band.
>
>Option 4 - get some 8s shimano pods (again, Alivio/STX) and adjust your derailleur so you don't
>overshift. This is a "make it work" option, as the spacing for 8s and 7s were very slightly
>different, but close enough to work in a pinch

Option 5: Use nine speed shifter and nine spped cogs (your current derailer is fine) , but only put
eight of the nine cogs on the cassette body.

-Andrew