$700 Specialized Allez Sport - Buying Advice -Used.

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by dcny7777, May 3, 2012.

1. dcny7777

dcny7777 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie here to this forum and also a newbie to road cycling.

I currently have been mountain biking and have been for over 5 years
    I'm looking into purchasing an entry level road bike.

From the reviews I've read, the Specialized Allez Sport model is on the top of my shopping list right now.
    I do see that I could purchase this bike used from cyclists who have upgraded to full carbon.

The best offer I found for a 2010 Specialized Allez Sport with only 200 miles on it was for $700.

The bike appears to be in excellent condition.

Is this a pretty good price for this entry level bike, or should I shop around more? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Tags:

2. supersix 105

supersix 105 New Member

thats almost retail price i think, price it between 5-$600.

3. supersix 105

supersix 105 New Member

4. dcny7777

dcny7777 New Member

Thanks for that info. The exact model is the"Specialized Allez Sport Compact".
    It shows at the link you provided above with an MSRP of: $850.

So, basically the seller is only knocking off $150 bucks.

Since it's a 2010 model and used, I would think a more reasonable price for the bike should be about in the $600 range.

I'll see if he's willing to negotiate with the price.

5. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

If the MSRP was $850, then if you were to walk into a bike shop which had a NOS copy of the bike then they would probably have it marked down to ~$500.

FYI. 2012 bikes effectively become a year old at the end of Q2 (i.e., June 30th) ...

• yes, that means that the particular SPECIALIZED Allez Sport Compact should be considered to be a 3-year-old bike ...
    • if not NOW, then in less than two months!

Does it make a difference?

Yes-and-No ... the components could be significantly different ...

• 2010 Shimano components might be different from 2013 Shimano components
    • 2013 SRAM will be different from earlier iterations

I would be surprised if YOU couldn't get a bike with comparable components and/or specs from BIKESDIRECT, et al, for $500 +/-.

6. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

I don't know where people live, but in my neck of the woods 5% of MSRP is normal for new bikes, with an extra 10-20% if the bike is past its expiration date, er, model year.

Even if the bike is in pristine condition, there is no factory warranty for the second owner. While the majority of bikes sold are ridden for years without ever needing warranty replacement, lack of warranty can be the most significant factor in the depreciation of a bike. Consider that when you make an offer.

7. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

BTW. Whenever I have gone into a 'high volume' bike shop near where I live, all of the SPECIALIZED bikes are always tagged as being ~20% off of MSRP ...

Of course, that presumes the listed MSRP is accurately indicated!?!

Older model-year Specialized bikes are priced less based on how much older ... an additional ~10% less for a "year old" model & an additional 20% less for a "two year old" model ... et cetera.

8. dcny7777

dcny7777 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I was able to negotiate down to $600 and then finally I got the seller down to $550 for the 2010 Specialized Allez Sport Compact, which was originally selling for $700.
    Thanks for everyone's helpful advice! Everyone had great valid points that helped me negotiate lower.

So far, for my first road bike, I am loving it. Here's some pics of of her.

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Hayzumi

Hayzumi New Member

Hey, guys.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am looking at precisely this bike right now and wanted to ask the OP how it turned out.

Also, since it's now the beginning of 2013, I would like to know what you all think is a good price for this particular bike (same color and everything).

Thanks!

10. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

FWIW. If you are in the Lower 48, then depending on the bike's condition, I would think that you could consider it to probably be a nice bike for $450 +/-.

11. Hayzumi

Hayzumi New Member

That sounds good. The one I'm looking at is around $500.

Also, there are several other bikes, one of which is a 2006 Jamis Ventura Sport w/ carbon fork for about $300 (OBO).

I might need to start a new thread...