700 x ??c

Richard Bates

Guest
My beloved touring bike used to have 700x40c wheels. These and the pretty decent wheels coped with
lugging camping equipment across bumpy bridleways very well.

Recently, for road use only, I swapped the tyres for 700x32c, which are much nicer and more
"efficient" when riding unladen.

Do you reckon they would also be suitable for a road based camping tour?

I am sure that the combination of load and tyre width is irrelevant when thinking of strength (I
guess the quality of the wheels are more of a factor). What i am wondering is from a comfort/hitting
potholes point of view? Will narrower tyres transfer shock more easily to my fragile nuts and bolts
(both bodily and bikily ones)?

Should I remount my 40c wheels?

Love and ponderings from Rich

--
Doctor Doctor I've got a strawberry stuck up my bum. Well here is some cream to put on it. To reply
change the obvious bit to "richard"

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:

: Recently, for road use only, I swapped the tyres for 700x32c, which are much nicer and more
: "efficient" when riding unladen.

: Do you reckon they would also be suitable for a road based camping tour?

Just about, but I'd reckon that if you have full camping gears 38c would be better.

If it was be, I'd remount the 40s. You'll probably get away with the 32s if you watch out for
potholes and keep the load light mind.

Arhtur

Lord Lester

Arthur Clune wrote:
> Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> : Recently, for road use only, I swapped the tyres for 700x32c, which are much nicer and more
> : "efficient" when riding unladen.
>
> : Do you reckon they would also be suitable for a road based camping tour?
>
> Just about, but I'd reckon that if you have full camping gears 38c would be better.

You can go loaded touring on 28s: I know, because I have. Having said that, you'd probably be better
off on the wider tyres if it's a full load, as suggested above.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Peter Clinch wrote:
> Arthur Clune wrote:
>> Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Recently, for road use only, I swapped the tyres for 700x32c, which are much nicer and more
>>> "efficient" when riding unladen.
>>
>>> Do you reckon they would also be suitable for a road based camping tour?
>>
>> Just about, but I'd reckon that if you have full camping gears 38c would be better.
>
> You can go loaded touring on 28s: I know, because I have. Having said that, you'd probably be
> better off on the wider tyres if it's a full load, as suggested above.
>
> Pete.

When I was a lad, a touring bike had 27 * 1 1/4 wheels == 31.75mm if the wheels were well built it
was no problem. If you went racing you rode to the race with your sprints held next to the front
wheel on wheel carriers and swap for the race. In winter you put on mudguards. If you wanted to go
off road it was called rough stuffing and you slowed down a bit.

A good road bike will cope with most things.

Anyway a full camping load is unlikly to much more than 50 lbs, it really no big deal, spread it
around front and back.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Yes. I toured America on 700 x 28s. Carried half a tent (my mate had the other half), sleeping bag,
clothes, spare shoes but no cooking equipment, little food. I did about 3500 miles on one pair of
tyres one of which did not puncture at all, the other punctured twice. My wheels are Mavic Mach 3 CD
on Deore hubs with double butted spokes, built for me by Condor Cycles in 1990. Still as true today
as the day they were serviced after their first 100 miles. Will fatter tyres be more comfortable ?
Probably but I wouldn't change.

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> My beloved touring bike used to have 700x40c wheels. These and the pretty decent wheels coped with
> lugging camping equipment across bumpy bridleways very well.
>
> Recently, for road use only, I swapped the tyres for 700x32c, which are much nicer and more
> "efficient" when riding unladen.
>
> Do you reckon they would also be suitable for a road based camping tour?
>
> I am sure that the combination of load and tyre width is irrelevant when thinking of strength (I
> guess the quality of the wheels are more of a factor). What i am wondering is from a
> comfort/hitting potholes point of view? Will narrower tyres transfer shock more easily to my
> fragile nuts and bolts (both bodily and bikily ones)?
>
> Should I remount my 40c wheels?
>
> Love and ponderings from Rich

In message <[email protected]>, AndyMorris <[email protected]> writes
>Peter Clinch wrote:
>> Arthur Clune wrote:

>>> Just about, but I'd reckon that if you have full camping gears 38c would be better.
>>
>> You can go loaded touring on 28s: I know, because I have. Having said that, you'd probably be
>> better off on the wider tyres if it's a full load, as suggested above.
>>
>> Pete.
>
>When I was a lad, a touring bike had 27 * 1 1/4 wheels == 31.75mm if the wheels were well built it
>was no problem. If you went racing you rode to the race with your sprints held next to the front
>wheel on wheel carriers and swap for the race. In winter you put on mudguards. If you wanted to go
>off road it was called rough stuffing and you slowed down a bit.

I normally use 32s when cycle camping, though I've also used a 38 on the rear as well I find the
32's fine, but if you prefer a little bit more comfort then you could put on wider tyres, for loaded
touring the size of the tyre is going to make no great difference to the speed or other wise) of
your cycling

--
Chris French, Leeds