700c Tyres (Wheels)?

Another Fred

Guest
Can someone please enlighten me as to the significance of
the above specification. I've just measured the diameter of
my wheel and tyre and the figure I get is 677mm . So, what
does the 700 refer to ? and what does the c mean ? Designing
new road bike and am curious as to the tyre sizes! Fred

Another Fred wrote:
> Can someone please enlighten me as to the significance of
> the above specification. I've just measured the diameter
> of my wheel and tyre and the figure I get is 677mm . So,
> what does the 700 refer to ? and what does the c mean ?

Since Sheldon's traveling, I'll provide the link: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-
sizing.html#french

--
James "Hi Sheldon" Scott www.jls.cx

"It keeps amazing me to see how many people would not know
how to feed themselves, if it were not for internet."
-- Sergio Servadio, rec.bicycles.rides

"James Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Another Fred wrote:
> > Can someone please enlighten me as to the significance
> > of the above specification. I've just measured the
> > diameter of my wheel and tyre and the figure
> > get is 677mm . So, what does the 700 refer to ? and what
> > does the c mean ?
>
> Since Sheldon's traveling, I'll provide the link: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-
> sizing.html#french
>
> --
> James "Hi Sheldon" Scott www.jls.cx
>
> "It keeps amazing me to see how many people would not know
> how to feed themselves, if it were not for internet."
> -- Sergio Servadio, rec.bicycles.rides

Thank you very much - extremely helpful! Fred

Another Fred wrote:
> Can someone please enlighten me as to the significance
> of the above specification. I've just measured the
> diameter of my wheel and tyre and the figure I get is
> 677mm . So, what does the 700 refer to ? and what does
> the c mean ? Designing new road bike and am curious as
> to the tyre sizes!

Not much; it's French and refers to the diameter of some
arbitrary tyre mounted on the rims. The critical measurement
is the bead seat diameter (somewhat smaller than the outside
diameter of the rim), which in this case is 622mm. Most
tyres for 700c come in at about 26.4" rolling diameter when
you allow for the squashed bit at the bottom.