700c wheel choices, tour/commute

bentupright

Sep 27, 2004
Well, if the upright bike keeps giving me a pain free ride, I'm considering a somewhat different wheelset that might allow more flexibility in choice of tire size.

My experience with my Trek 1000 has been confined between 700 X 23c to 700 X 25c, and when the 25c is pumped up to 100 PSI, I notice little, if any difference, from the 23c. It appears that the more commonly available 'sport-tourers' focus around this size range, while the 'run of the mill' cromoly framed touring 'pack mules' (Trek 520) go for 37c tires. According to Brown's website, a wheel rim width of 17mm can support any tire between 25c and 37c, and this appears to be a rather 'flexible' range (without having to change the wheel width, only the TIRE). Some days I feel the need to go with something wider, for a little 'comfort' on rough terrain (albeit paved, just cracked a lot, due to second cousin nepotists getting the contractual bids to build, what they CALL 'roads' here in FL). If I feel a little 'speedy', then the 25c would be handy (where terrain might support it).

Questions are these:
1- any recommended 17mm width wheelsets, preferably with a 36 spoke option (instead of 32 spoke, which seems to get out of alignment quicker).

2- might a 'pack mule' chromoly touring bike (such AS the Trek 520) pose too much weight on the 23c tires, even when I go 'lightwieght' (w/o panniers, etc-- you know, those 'quickie commute' days!), thereby making 23c an impractical option on the 17mm wheelset? (this, with a 195 lb. +/-person)

bentupright said:
Well, if the upright bike keeps giving me a pain free ride, I'm considering a somewhat different wheelset that might allow more flexibility in choice of tire size.

My experience with my Trek 1000 has been confined between 700 X 23c to 700 X 25c, and when the 25c is pumped up to 100 PSI, I notice little, if any difference, from the 23c. It appears that the more commonly available 'sport-tourers' focus around this size range, while the 'run of the mill' cromoly framed touring 'pack mules' (Trek 520) go for 37c tires. According to Brown's website, a wheel rim width of 17mm can support any tire between 25c and 37c, and this appears to be a rather 'flexible' range (without having to change the wheel width, only the TIRE). Some days I feel the need to go with something wider, for a little 'comfort' on rough terrain (albeit paved, just cracked a lot, due to second cousin nepotists getting the contractual bids to build, what they CALL 'roads' here in FL). If I feel a little 'speedy', then the 25c would be handy (where terrain might support it).

Questions are these:
1- any recommended 17mm width wheelsets, preferably with a 36 spoke option (instead of 32 spoke, which seems to get out of alignment quicker).

2- might a 'pack mule' chromoly touring bike (such AS the Trek 520) pose too much weight on the 23c tires, even when I go 'lightwieght' (w/o panniers, etc-- you know, those 'quickie commute' days!), thereby making 23c an impractical option on the 17mm wheelset? (this, with a 195 lb. +/-person)

First you need to be clear that the 17 mm is the inside width between the "hooks" of a clincher rim.... not the outside width that the brake pads contact. There is usually around a 6 mm difference.
1. The rims that come on the Trek 520 are Bontrager Maverick/Fairlane at about 17.5 mm inside width. Most road rims are around 14 mm inside witdth.
2. You might get away with 25 mm tire on a 17 mm inside width rim, but 23 mm would be pushing it. However, as you already stated, you may do just as well with 25 mm tires or even 28 - 32 mm tires.
Why not find a Trek dealer that has a 520 in your size and see what you think. I think you would find it a great choice for commuting and touring.
Wide tires are heavier and thicker... a compromise that you might enjoy. Wide tires usually get less flats (except in "goathead country") and more miles before wearing out.