700CC wheels

Sid Loves Banan

Guest
why do people **** these off as being weak

i ride a hybrid that uses 700CC wheels

is there something better out there?

sid

sid loves bananas wrote:
> why do people **** these off as being weak
>
> i ride a hybrid that uses 700CC wheels
>
> is there something better out there?

700c wheels are not weak. They're just not quite as strong as the smaller 26" wheels (when comparing
like with like).

~PB

Thanks to the quality of the roads down here in Surrey (and the UK generally) pot holes are lurking
everywhere and when travelling at speed will catch you out from time to time.

700c wheels are by their design arguably more vulnerable to pot hole impacts knocking them out of
true and are seen by some as a weaker wheel however wheel engineering has come on leaps and bounds
since 'some' have owned a 700c wheeled machine and Good Quality 700c wheels are incredibly strong
these days.

I've got 700c Bontrager Race Lites (only 20 spokes) and have subjected them to some severe abuse,
I'm always amazed that impacts which have 'jarred' my entire body in pot-hole encounters are just
shrugged off by these wheels, thanks I believe to their well engineered rims. They are still running
true 18 months on, with approaching 2000 miles and probably as many pot-holes under them.

TJ

"sid loves bananas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> why do people **** these off as being weak
>
> i ride a hybrid that uses 700CC wheels
>
> is there something better out there?
>
> sid

Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> sid loves bananas wrote:
> > why do people **** these off as being weak
> >
> > i ride a hybrid that uses 700CC wheels
> >
> > is there something better out there?
>
> 700c wheels are not weak. They're just not quite as strong as the smaller 26" wheels (when
> comparing like with like).

The main difference will be that 700c go pringled under sideways force more easily. This will
usually mean running into something solid, not square on, or jumping the bike off the ground and
landing skew. For square-on impacts, the frame and/or forks will break before a (well built) 700c
wheel does. Heavy pothole impacts will give snakebites and dented rim flanges just the same for
either size of wheel. Tyre size & pressure are what makes the difference here.

Andrew