700x25 or 700x28

frusso10

Nov 24, 2004
I currently have a new set of 700x25 road tiers and what to do some supported touring. I’m concerned about the berms or lack of in my State and would like to go to the widest tire I can run on my bike, which is a 700x28. Is there that much of a difference between 25mm & 28mm to warrant buying a new set on tiers?

frusso10 said:
I currently have a new set of 700x25 road tiers and what to do some supported touring. I’m concerned about the berms or lack of in my State and would like to go to the widest tire I can run on my bike, which is a 700x28. Is there that much of a difference between 25mm & 28mm to warrant buying a new set on tiers?

Not all tires that have the same size designation are the same size. If 700X28 will fit, you can expect more rim protection, more miles, more weight, and about the same rolling resistance. Your ride comfort should also increase and you should be able to ride safely over more difficult surfaces. It's about a 10% differnce in rim protection, milage, weight, and ride safety. Only you can decide if it warrants the $$$.