7075 tubing source

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joa, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Joa

    Joa Guest

    Been looking high and low for a 7075-T6 tubing supplier- any recommendations?

    Thanks.

    Joa

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Joa) wrote in message news:<[email protected]m>...
    > Been looking high and low for a 7075-T6 tubing supplier- any recommendations?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Joa

    Metal supply places don't seem to be particularly web-savvy. Your best bet is to email some with
    your requirements and ask for bids.

    I did find 7005 aluminum tube listed from Fairing.com: http://www.fairing.com/004aluminum_Plain.htm

    I've never dealt with them, just found them with Google.

    Jeff

  3. 7075 (not to be confused with 7005) aircraft aluminum is very difficult to weld, and should really
    only be considered for bonded frames. That being said it is much stronger than 6061. Aircraft
    suppliers have it, but expect to pay 10 bucks or so a foot, about the price of carbon tubes.

    7005 is commonly used for bike frames since it requires no post-weld heat treatment. It isn't as
    corrosion resistant as 6061. Fairing.com has it.