70km/h for a kilometer??

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by BullGod, Feb 8, 2007.

1. BullGod

BullGod New Member

In an interview on cyclingnews Daniele Contrini says that there are Russian Tinkoff riders in Hondo's lead out squad who can ride 70km/h for a kilometer?

Is he exaggerating? The sprint finishes in the TdF aren't usually above 70, and they last a few seconds....also - any ideas how many watts would be required on a flat terrain (no wind) to go 70 for a kilometer?

I haven't ever gone above 65km/h for more than a few seconds when riding alone on the flat even with a gale blowing behind me!!

70 is insanely fast......

Tags:

2. flapsupcleanup

flapsupcleanup New Member

I quickly ran some numbers on analyticcycling and it appears 70kmh for 1km would take around 1176w for about 50 seconds. For a 72kg guy like myself then that's 16.3 w/kg for the 50 seconds. The profiling chart on cyclingpeaks tops out at 11.5 w/kg for 1 minute. That's 42% off the scale!! :eek:

I wouldnt say that was impossible, but I'd have to see it. I bet Andy could call it.

3. flapsupcleanup

flapsupcleanup New Member

The more I think of it, with a super aero setup it would be quite possible. The 1176w number goes down to 692w with an aero drag coefficient. No problem. Well it would be for me!

4. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

Tournant is the kilo record holder at 58.875, with a flying start he could maybe reach 64-65 kph for 1 km. 70 kph isn't possible without a tailwind or shield or downhill on a UCI legal bike.

I clocked 63 kph last year after 70 km of a 120 km road race (level, no wind to speak of and I was near the back), and got dropped a few minutes after that. I still have the polar speed data of that race.

-bikeguy

5. postal_bag

postal_bag New Member

What intensity, as a percentage of FTP, do you suppose the lead man in a lead-out "train" is averaging for his 500 m or 1 km, or whatever?

6. bikeguy

bikeguy New Member

Quickly I'd say 160-170%. That its, if he's been sitting in well prior. Why do you ask?

-bikeguy

7. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

Tinkoff are specializing in riders known to have "abetted" their capabilities so anything is possible. ;0)

Seriously though, 70 kph without drafting a vehicle, tailwind or gravity assist for ~ 1 minute is b/s.

Time for someone to recheck their wheel circumferences on the ole cycle computer? Or more likely just hyperbole.

8. UNF_Chaz

UNF_Chaz New Member

Also remember the riders in the TdF have been riding for ~100 miles before they get to that finish, climbing and sprinting before they get to the final kilometer.

9. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Not possible.

10. postal_bag

postal_bag New Member

Just curious.

11. doctorSpoc

doctorSpoc New Member

dont' think it's possible.. maybe he meant that their train (i.e. multiple riders) can chug along at 70km/h for the last 1km(s).. last year final stage of TdF... last ~2-3 km where at ~73km/h, but didn't see anyone manage more than ~300m on the front at that speed.

that said it is a bit different than even a flying 1k.. even though it's a flying start you need to get yourself up to 70km/h (sans draft) in a RR you get gradually drafted up to 70km/h then you come out of the draft and do your pull...