70s Campy Brakes w/Ergo Levers

Velo Vixen

Jan 28, 2007
I am building up a beautiful Mercian frame. I'd like to use Campy Ergo brake/shift levers. However, the bike has what used to be called "standard" brake clearances (Today they're called "long."): 57mm on the rear. I was wondering whether/how well my 70's vintage Nuovo Record brakes would work with the Ergo levers.

I really don't want to use a Shimano dual-pivot brake (or anything Shimano, for that matter) on this bike. I also don't want to use a drop bolt: I prefer to use the brakes with more clearance so I can use a wider tire and fenders.

Help!

Velo Vixen said:
I am building up a beautiful Mercian frame. I'd like to use Campy Ergo brake/shift levers. However, the bike has what used to be called "standard" brake clearances (Today they're called "long."): 57mm on the rear. I was wondering whether/how well my 70's vintage Nuovo Record brakes would work with the Ergo levers.

I really don't want to use a Shimano dual-pivot brake (or anything Shimano, for that matter) on this bike. I also don't want to use a drop bolt: I prefer to use the brakes with more clearance so I can use a wider tire and fenders.

Help!
YES, you can use Nuovo Record calipers with ERGO brake levers ...

I'm currently using a mixed pair of vintage SunTour Superbe brake calipers (Nuovo Record copies) with one set of my Campagnolo ERGO levers -- the rear is "long" reach (old "normal") and the front is the former "short" reach (current "normal") -- so, you should have no problems with your "standard" length NR calipers.

I just retired my NR calipers (replaced with new Record Skeleton calipers!). I used them for years with ERGO levers. No problems.