70's VINTAGE BIKES WHATS WRONG WITH THEM?

1 CycleNut

Jul 13, 2004
Why do people always try and discourage me when I get a hold of an old 70's beauty to fix up? Theese old bikes were made to last and were made out of good materials. I really like some of the workmanship on the Lugs SUPER ! STEEL RULES, Carbon---Man made ****! Light true but JUNK! Old bikes are like fine wine they just keep gettin better with age!:D :D :D :cool: :cool: Terry S............ Naples Florida!

I have no Idea
I have a 79 Schwinn CONTINENTAL II
I been fixing and ridein for several years now
it's a 27" bike with a 26" frame
I enjoy rideing it a lot

TechJD said:
I have no Idea
I have a 79 Schwinn CONTINENTAL II
I been fixing and ridein for several years now
it's a 27" bike with a 26" frame
I enjoy rideing it a lot
:D Yeah me too! I have about thirty old 70;s bikes I have fixed up and more on the way.. I love em! I get a kick out of the components that they put on em back in the day , some really good stuff! Dura Ace, Shimano Exage, good stuff! Thanks for your reply! Terry from Naples!:cool:

1 CycleNut said:
Carbon---Man made ****! Light true but JUNK!

My 10-year old carbon frame (and fork) bike just outlasted it's Dura-Ace group. I have 30,000 miles on the bike, and have never had a problem. And I'm not a lightweight rider either.

There's nothing wrong with your old steel bikes, but I'll ride what feels best to me.

Nothing's wrong with them. They are cool and fun to fix up and ride around town on.

I wouldn't race on one though. There have been so many enhancements to bike's since the '70's. I personally prefer to ride carbon (esp. the forks). Lighter. And what about STI? And living near the ocean a steel bike runs the risk of corosion.

And would you really want to crash out your Sunday ride? :)

I keep em inside away from the weather........ and I love to race em! Vintage races! I know they have improved upon bicycle tech. a lot since the 70s especially STI what an improvement! But I'm a diehard old school biker man! I love STEEL! saltwater no problem just keep it off and clean!:D Terry S.......... Thanks for the comments sleektabby nice talkin to ya!

cydewaze said:
My 10-year old carbon frame (and fork) bike just outlasted it's Dura-Ace group. I have 30,000 miles on the bike, and have never had a problem. And I'm not a lightweight rider either.

There's nothing wrong with your old steel bikes, but I'll ride what feels best to me.
:D Don't get me wrong one of theese days I'm gonna break down a buy a new bike Frame and build it up myself from there..Until then It's steel for me!:D :D I like the new Tech. too!:cool: P.S. I beleive that you wore out your Dura Ace components with 30,000 miles thats a lot man! Do you have a life outside of cycling? you sound like me? hehehehehe:D

1 CycleNut said:
:D Don't get me wrong one of theese days I'm gonna break down a buy a new bike Frame and build it up myself from there..
And I'm probably going to build up a steel bike pretty soon, just to have something different to train on. ;)

1 CycleNut said:
P.S. I beleive that you wore out your Dura Ace components with 30,000 miles thats a lot man! Do you have a life outside of cycling? you sound like me? hehehehehe:D
30,000 over 10 years is only 3000 miles a year. Not too hard to do really.

:cool:
cydewaze said:
And I'm probably going to build up a steel bike pretty soon, just to have something different to train on. ;)

30,000 over 10 years is only 3000 miles a year. Not too hard to do really.
:cool: It is when you get my age! HA!:D