7402 dura ace rear mech - what modern shifters will match?

Tomek Li

Guest
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? All knowledgeable suggestions will be highly appreciated...

Cheers,

Tomek Li

"Tomek Li" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift.
> Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters?

With any Shimano 9-speed shifter, it will shift 8-speed spacing. The only
8-speed shifters that will index with your 7402 are 8-speed Dura Ace.

See:

http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html#indexing

James Thomson

"Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? Has anybody tried Shiftmate to solve the actuation ratio problem? If so, which one would be right for the job?

Chers,

Tomek Li

On Jul 16, 3:00 pm, "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? Has anybody tried Shiftmate to solve the actuation ratio problem? If so, which one would be right for the job?
>
> Chers,
>
> Tomek Li

Exactly what shifters do you have? If by "modern 8-speed" you mean
Sora or something of similar vintage, you should have no problem using
that mech with an equally modern 8-speed cassette. The most important
factor with indexing is matching shifter with cassette. Sure, the mech
matters, too, but any modern Shimano should shift just fine as long as
the shifter-indexing matches the cassette spacing. I used a 7402 with
8-speed bar-ends and a 7-speed cassette [7/8 is very close in spacing]
no problemo.

Tomek Li writes:

> I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift.

I'm unclear on whether this was free or a gift. This comes up in adds
often.

> Now I'm wondering will it work with my modern 8sp Shimano shifters?
> Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either
> mech or cable routing as to make it work? All knowledgeable
> suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Cable routing or mechanisms like travel agent cannot make up for shift
lever mechanism tuned to 8-speed instead of 9, the spacing being
slightly different

Jobst Brandt

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Cable routing or mechanisms like travel agent cannot make up for shift
> lever mechanism tuned to 8-speed instead of 9, the spacing being
> slightly different
>
> Jobst Brandt

Jobst,

The matter is not a number of gears. This is OK, both shifters and casette
are 8 sp. By saying "modern" I mean, that the actuation ratio of my shifters
(8sp Tiagras) is standard SIS, not pre-1997 Dura Ace. Since the der is
pre-1997 DA, it is designed to work with shifters pulling slightly less
cable per click (actuation 1.9). The shifters pull per click is designed for
mechs with actuation 1.7. My question is if there's anybody here who devised
alternative cable routing or some similar modification as to overcome the
difference.

Cheers,

Tomek Li

On Jul 16, 7:52 pm, Joe Bernard <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 3:00 pm, "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
> > Hi all,

> > I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? Has anybody tried Shiftmate to solve the actuation ratio problem? If so, which one would be right for the job?

> > Chers,

> > Tomek Li

> Exactly what shifters do you have? If by "modern 8-speed" you mean
> Sora or something of similar vintage, you should have no problem using
> that mech with an equally modern 8-speed cassette. The most important
> factor with indexing is matching shifter with cassette. Sure, the mech
> matters, too, but any modern Shimano should shift just fine as long as
> the shifter-indexing matches the cassette spacing. I used a 7402 with
> 8-speed bar-ends and a 7-speed cassette [7/8 is very close in spacing]
> no problemo.

The Shimano DA 7400/01/02 used a different cable pull than all other
Shimano SIS RDs. As pointed out earlier, a 9sp Shimano lever will
shift a 7400 series RD over an 8sp cassette.

And, yes, a 7400 series RD and an 8sp DA shifter (STI, DT, or barend)
will also shift over a 7sp freewheel/cassette.

On Jul 16, 6:52 pm, Joe Bernard <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 3:00 pm, "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
> > Hi all,

> > I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? Has anybody tried Shiftmate to solve the actuation ratio problem? If so, which one would be right for the job?

> > Chers,

> > Tomek Li

> Exactly what shifters do you have? If by "modern 8-speed" you mean
> Sora or something of similar vintage, you should have no problem using
> that mech with an equally modern 8-speed cassette. The most important
> factor with indexing is matching shifter with cassette. Sure, the mech
> matters, too, but any modern Shimano should shift just fine as long as
> the shifter-indexing matches the cassette spacing. I used a 7402 with
> 8-speed bar-ends and a 7-speed cassette [7/8 is very close in spacing]
> no problemo.

Not really. 7402 RD will shift 8s spacing with 7400 series 8s shifters
OR any 9s STI/DT shifter. It will not shift 8s spacing with a 'modern'
or older 8s , non-DA shimano shifter, like Sora or 6400/ultegra 8s.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:54:33 +0100, "Tomek Li"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? All knowledgeable suggestions will be highly appreciated...

Not an answer to your question, but years ago I upgraded my favorite
bike from Dura Ace 8-speed to DA 9-speed. I put the DA 8-speed on my
beater. Every time I ride it I'm still amazed at how the DA 8-speed
shifts like a piece of precision machinery, a feel unlike my other STI
equipped bikes.

--
jeverett3<AT>sbcglobal<DOT>net (John V. Everett)

On Jul 17, 5:08 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jul 16, 6:52 pm, Joe Bernard <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 16, 3:00 pm, "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...
> > > Hi all,

> > > I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? Has anybody tried Shiftmate to solve the actuation ratio problem? If so, which one would be right for the job?

> > > Chers,

> > > Tomek Li

> > Exactly what shifters do you have? If by "modern 8-speed" you mean
> > Sora or something of similar vintage, you should have no problem using
> > that mech with an equally modern 8-speed cassette. The most important
> > factor with indexing is matching shifter with cassette. Sure, the mech
> > matters, too, but any modern Shimano should shift just fine as long as
> > the shifter-indexing matches the cassette spacing. I used a 7402 with
> > 8-speed bar-ends and a 7-speed cassette [7/8 is very close in spacing]
> > no problemo.

> Not really. 7402 RD will shift 8s spacing with 7400 series 8s shifters
> OR any 9s STI/DT shifter. It will not shift 8s spacing with a 'modern'
> or older 8s , non-DA shimano shifter, like Sora or 6400/ultegra 8s.- Hide quoted text -

Hey Tomek, why don't you just try it and see what happens? My setup
was 8-speed Ultegra bar-end, 7-speed Shimano cassette and 7402 rear
mech. Maybe it wasn't "supposed" to work, but, it did.

"Joe Bernard" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Hey Tomek, why don't you just try it and see what happens? My setup
> was 8-speed Ultegra bar-end, 7-speed Shimano cassette and 7402 rear
> mech. Maybe it wasn't "supposed" to work, but, it did.

Joe,

I already did. Being a curious type I've put today all the stuff together
and the operation is far from satisfactory. Each time I change gears through
whole block either up or down it skips one gear. Once on the lowest, it
won't change for the next until I double click. If I don't find a positive
solution, I'll just put the DA mech into the drawer which over the years
gets filled up with forgotten gear and let it R.I.P.
Currently, the most promising option seems using Jtek's Shiftmate no. 2,
which provides reduction of ratio of 1: 0.9 . The only matter that stops me
is price. Together with shipping and handling it will cost me USD 41, which
is close to the price of brand new tiagra mech, which provides all the
required action with no additional hassle.
Cheers,

Tomek Li

On Jul 17, 12:30 pm, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:54:33 +0100, "Tomek Li"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Hi all,

> >I was lucky enough to get DA 7402 rear mech ONS for free, as a gift. Now I'm wandering will it work with my modern 8sp shimano shifters? Perhaps not. If so, is there any modification I could do to either mech or cable routing as to make it work? All knowledgeable suggestions will be highly appreciated...

> Not an answer to your question, but years ago I upgraded my favorite
> bike from Dura Ace 8-speed to DA 9-speed. I put the DA 8-speed on my
> beater. Every time I ride it I'm still amazed at how the DA 8-speed
> shifts like a piece of precision machinery, a feel unlike my other STI
> equipped bikes.

That 'feel' is there in the DA 8sp DT and barend shifters, too.

On Jul 17, 12:18 pm, "Tomek Li" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Joe Bernard" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Hey Tomek, why don't you just try it and see what happens? My setup
> > was 8-speed Ultegra bar-end, 7-speed Shimano cassette and 7402 rear
> > mech. Maybe it wasn't "supposed" to work, but, it did.

> Joe,
>
> I already did. Being a curious type I've put today all the stuff together
> and the operation is far from satisfactory. Each time I change gears through
> whole block either up or down it skips one gear. Once on the lowest, it
> won't change for the next until I double click. If I don't find a positive
> solution, I'll just put the DA mech into the drawer which over the years
> gets filled up with forgotten gear and let it R.I.P.
> Currently, the most promising option seems using Jtek's Shiftmate no. 2,
> which provides reduction of ratio of 1: 0.9 . The only matter that stops me
> is price. Together with shipping and handling it will cost me USD 41, which
> is close to the price of brand new tiagra mech, which provides all the
> required action with no additional hassle.
> Cheers,
>
> Tomek Li

Hmmm. Sounds like more trouble than its worth.