75 miles ride training advice.

theLazyBiker

Aug 29, 2013
Hello, I am new to road cycling, I got into it about 2 months ago. There is a 75 mile ride at the end of November, but I don't know if I would be able train enough to do it. I don't want to bite of way more than I can chew. I ride about 5 days a week, each ride is between 10 and 25 miles. My longest ride to date was 31 miles with about 1000ft elevation. Where I am now, I beleive I can keep a good pase for about 45 miles. Is 70 days enough time to train or should I sign up for the 42 mile ride they have the same day?

I just started riding (again) on 18 August of this year, first time I had ridden since September 2012 so almost a full year off the bike. I was completely out of shape, and now I'm just beginning to get into any semblance of OK shape. I've ridden about 5 days a week also, 620miles total this year. The most I had ridden was 41 miles.
Yesterday I did an organized ride and rode 68 miles. I was about at my comfort limit at 68, and 50 would not have been enough. The roads where I ride and the roads yesterday are both pretty flat, so that made it a little easier.
So I'd say if you're doing the 25s and 30s comfortably you would probably be OK at 75 in an organized ride. Just take your time, hit the rest stops and enjoy at a slow pace.

If you have still been riding 4 or 5 days a week I think you'll do fine on the longer ride. Pain is temporary, memory is forever. Have a good breakfast the day of the ride, make sure to replenish electrolytes during, have a decent size snack midway (but not a big meal), and do the first half a little easier than you think you can (especially the hills).

We don't wanna hear about some sucky 45 mile ride when you get back, we want to hear about the longest ride of your life! Just kidding, have a good day on the bike whichever you choose and let us know how it goes.