7803 - It's news to me

Jeff Starr

Guest
Hi, did I miss a discussion on Dura-Ace 10 in triple?

I was looking for info on the new Ultegra 10 in triple and came across
the following page. I don't read the language, but it is obvious, what
it is. Here, take a look -

http://cycle.shimano.co.jp/publish/content/cycle/sic/jp/ja/2005/dura7803.html

Apparently they stayed with the 92mm inner ring size. I wonder why
they went from 53 to 52 on the big one?
I will have to see them in person, but I can't decide which I like
better, the DA or the new Ultegra 10 triple. Here is the Ultegra -
http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=&subcategory=&sku=13292&brand=1851

Life is Good!
Jeff

Jeff Starr wrote:

> Hi, did I miss a discussion on Dura-Ace 10 in triple?
>
> I was looking for info on the new Ultegra 10 in triple and came across
> the following page. I don't read the language, but it is obvious, what
> it is. Here, take a look -
>
> http://cycle.shimano.co.jp/publish/content/cycle/sic/jp/ja/2005/dura7803.html
>
> Apparently they stayed with the 92mm inner ring size. I wonder why
> they went from 53 to 52 on the big one?
> I will have to see them in person, but I can't decide which I like
> better, the DA or the new Ultegra 10 triple. Here is the Ultegra -
> http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=&subcategory=&sku=13292&brand=1851

Take a look at the Centaur 3x10 - my favorite. Still a lot
less than Ultegra even after the price adjustment. And it
ships with the nice Record type hubs too!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

I have been using the Centaur 3X10 since last Spring. I had always
been leery of triple setups, worried that the shifting would be sloppy.
That is not the case with this group. The shifting, even on the
front, is quick, solid, and trimmable.

**** Durbin

Olebiker wrote:

> I have been using the Centaur 3X10 since last Spring. I had always
> been leery of triple setups, worried that the shifting would be
> sloppy. That is not the case with this group. The shifting, even on
> the front, is quick, solid, and trimmable.

I have an Ultegra triple from a couple of years ago. I've found pretty much the
same thing. Front shifts are as easy as rear ones these days.

I don't mean to make a Shimano vs. Campy argument out of this -- I actually like
the Campy stuff a little better! But the Ultegra bike was there and a good
value, and I'm just as happy with it.

Matt O.

Olebiker wrote:
> I have been using the Centaur 3X10 since last Spring. I had always
> been leery of triple setups, worried that the shifting would be

sloppy.
> That is not the case with this group. The shifting, even on the
> front, is quick, solid, and trimmable.

Why would the "shifting be sloppy" on a triple crankset? The rear
derailleur shifts the same. The Ergo/STI lever is identical. Were you
worried that adding an inch to the rear derailleur cage would cause
shifting to be sloppy? As for the front, you do about 99% of your
shifting between the middle ring and large ring. Same as with a double
crankset. With Ergo the lever is identical too. Someone else will
have to comment on whether STI is the same for double and triple front
shifting.

The DA triple might only be available overseas right now. I talked to my shimano guy about it and he said there was no plan for a DA triple here for 2005 that he knew of.

>Why would the "shifting be sloppy" on a triple crankset?

My only frame of reference was the triple setups of thirty years ago.
The old Campy wide range rear derailer (Sheldon Brown spelling) was a
bear to shift. I would have to overshift then back off a bit to quiet
the noise. The TA triple crankset was, and still is as far as I know,
a dandy but the front derailers of the day were not up to the task.

You are correct in stating that 99% of the shifting is between the
middle and large ring. I can tell no difference between the speed and
accuracy of the shifting on my 3X10 and my older 2X9.

**** Durbin

Jeff Starr wrote:
> Hi, did I miss a discussion on Dura-Ace 10 in triple?
>
> I was looking for info on the new Ultegra 10 in triple and came

across
> the following page. I don't read the language, but it is obvious,

what
> it is. Here, take a look -

http://cycle.shimano.co.jp/publish/content/cycle/sic/jp/ja/2005/dura7803.html

> Apparently they stayed with the 92mm inner ring size. I wonder why
> they went from 53 to 52 on the big one?
> I will have to see them in person, but I can't decide which I like
> better, the DA or the new Ultegra 10 triple. Here is the Ultegra -

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=&subcategory=&sku=13292&brand=1851

> Life is Good!
> Jeff

The difference between a 53 and 52 is pretty minor, and I'd guess that
they did it to appeal to a slightly different demographic than
road-triple-riders in the U.S. or Europe.

If *I* were making the choice, I'd stick with the Ultegra, if only for
the option of a 24 tooth small chainring. I've got a 26 right now (on a
26-39-52) which I rarely use, but when I need it, I *need* it.
Jeff (other Jeff)

In article <[email protected]>,
"Olebiker" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Why would the "shifting be sloppy" on a triple crankset?

> My only frame of reference was the triple setups of thirty years ago.
> The old Campy wide range rear derailer (Sheldon Brown spelling) was a
> bear to shift.

Argh! It's "derailleur," "gruppo," and "brifteur." Are you going to
listen to some guy named Brown who can barely speak three languages, or
are you going to listen to me, whose ancestors have been bilingual for
about a hundred years?

Je ne parle pas francais,
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Don't come 'round here talkin' that Euro-trash talk. Talk A-murican,
boy. If'n English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for you.

Cousineau....your ancestors must have been illegal aliens. If they had
come through Ellis Island legally you would be Ryan Cousins.
**** "toungue very firmly in cheek" Durbin

ahimsa-<< The DA triple might only be available overseas right now. I talked to
my
shimano guy about it and he said there was no plan for a DA triple here
for 2005 that he knew of. >><BR><BR>

There is no 7803 anywhere except perhaps as prototypes, certainly not for sale
to the 'public'. I would hope shimano would offer one. Even tho triples are old
news. shimano can't seem to see that a high end DA triple and/or compact is a
good idea. The big boy pros could use a left lever that was double AND triple
w/o screwing with their ego.

BUT the 7803 will mean another new left lever....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Olebiker wrote:

> Don't come 'round here talkin' that Euro-trash talk. Talk A-murican,
> boy. If'n English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for you.
>
> Cousineau....your ancestors must have been illegal aliens. If they had
> come through Ellis Island legally you would be Ryan Cousins.
> **** "toungue very firmly in cheek" Durbin

Mr. Cousineau is something much worse than the descendant of illegal
aliens - he is a CANADIAN! ;) Fifty-Four Forty or Fight!

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Olebiker wrote:
>
>> Don't come 'round here talkin' that Euro-trash talk. Talk
>> A-murican, boy. If'n English was good enough for Jesus, it's
>> good enough for you.
>>
>> Cousineau....your ancestors must have been illegal aliens. If
>> they had come through Ellis Island legally you would be Ryan
>> Cousins. **** "toungue very firmly in cheek" Durbin

> Mr. Cousineau is something much worse than the descendant of
> illegal aliens - he is a CANADIAN! ;) Fifty-Four Forty or Fight!

Worse. If the US junior hockey team manages make it to the next stage
Mr. Cousineau's countrymen are going to beat the **** out of them.
(most US Jrs play in Canadian Jr. leagues anyhow).

A triple 10 speed? HA! Unless you have 25" chainstays, the angles would
be so great that you would actually be able to use fewer ratios than I
can on my 3/7!

What a crock!!! LOL!

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:

> A triple 10 speed? HA! Unless you have 25" chainstays, the angles would
> be so great that you would actually be able to use fewer ratios than I
> can on my 3/7!
>
> What a crock!!! LOL!

Would I be able to upgrade my 8-speed bike with ~51-inches from BB to
rear with a 10-speed cassette and triple crank? ;)

--
Tom "Cross Gearing?" Sherman - Near Rock Island

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
>
> > A triple 10 speed? HA! Unless you have 25" chainstays, the angles

would
> > be so great that you would actually be able to use fewer ratios

than I
> > can on my 3/7!
> >
> > What a crock!!! LOL!

> Would I be able to upgrade my 8-speed bike with ~51-inches from BB to

> rear with a 10-speed cassette and triple crank? ;)
>
> --
> Tom "Cross Gearing?" Sherman - Near Rock Island

That's what I'm aiming for eventually- 10-speed 12-27 cassette in back,
24-39-52 in front, with Shimano bar-end shifters on Paul Thumbies
mounts controlling it all. I guess I'll just have to steel myself for
dropping $100 every time it's time to replace the chain.
Jeff "Thinking ahead to Christmas 2005" Wills

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 20:02:46 -0500, [email protected] (Chris Zacho
"The Wheelman") wrote:

>A triple 10 speed? HA! Unless you have 25" chainstays, the angles would
>be so great that you would actually be able to use fewer ratios than I
>can on my 3/7!
>
>What a crock!!! LOL!

It's statements like the above, that make me wonder if people even
bother to think before posting.
For a "wheelman" you sure don't know much about modern technology.
Even you have heard of triple 9-speeds, right? Well, the 10-speed
cassette is the same size as the 9-speed. And then there is the fact
that there is nothing that new about triple 10-speeds. Campagnolo has
had them for a number of years, already.

So the real crock, is your lack of knowledge, proven by your
willingness to share it. LOL!

[email protected] wrote:

> That's what I'm aiming for eventually- 10-speed 12-27 cassette in back,
> 24-39-52 in front, with Shimano bar-end shifters on Paul Thumbies
> mounts controlling it all. I guess I'll just have to steel myself for
> dropping $100 every time it's time to replace the chain.

I would think that would work fine, especially with the Easy Racers
chain tensioner.

I rode a borrowed P-38 with a 54-44-24 crank, an 8-speed 11-32 cassette,
and Shimano bar ends and it shifted in an acceptable manner.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Chris Zacho The Wheelman wrote:
> A triple 10 speed? HA! Unless you have 25" chainstays, the angles would
> be so great that you would actually be able to use fewer ratios than I
> can on my 3/7!
> What a crock!!! LOL!

Uh, 3x10 have been about 40% of premium bike builds since 1998.

here's a fuzzy photo of my first Chorus 3x10 December 1998:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdsam4.jpg

Really, 3x10 bikes are a very normal and popular thing.
Let's take Habanero for example;

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/HAB'CENT.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/HAB0406E.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/HAB04EW.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/HAB07TM.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/HABTEAM1.JPG
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/HAB4MILR.JPG

It's new for Shimano - It isn't 'new'.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

On 01 Jan 2005 13:48:20 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

>There is no 7803 anywhere except perhaps as prototypes, certainly not for sale
>to the 'public'. I would hope shimano would offer one. Even tho triples are old
>news. shimano can't seem to see that a high end DA triple and/or compact is a
>good idea. The big boy pros could use a left lever that was double AND triple
>w/o screwing with their ego.
>
>BUT the 7803 will mean another new left lever....
>
>Peter Chisholm
>Vecchio's Bicicletteria

Well, the website is back up, but I don't read Japanese. I did use
Babel Fish to translate and according to the translation, DA 10-speed
triple wil be available for sale in April of 2005.

http://cycle.shimano.co.jp/publish/content/cycle/sic/jp/ja/2005/dura7803.html

Translater -
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Put in above link and choose Japanese to English

Life is Good!
Jeff